soil pipe causing damp in my living room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need some help please before the bad weather comes back.

I have a soil pipe in the inside of my bathroom wall which extends throu the roof, this is fine, but the problem I have is the pipe leading out throu the roof seems to be lead with a lead flashing, so I assume that the pipe inside my bathroom wall is also lead up to a point.....this is causing me condensation on my living room wall for about 7" down the wall.

i was wondering if I could coat the pipe with something, or take down a part of my bathroom ceiling and lag the pipe from within the wall ? :cry:

many thanks

Charlie.

Sponsored Links
the soil pipe will not be lead!! cast iron with a lead slate piece sleeved over the pipe will be the most likely scenario.

the slate piece has failed or the channels around it are possibly choked, best to get a roofer to have a look.....or "get a man in", as they say on this forum :D

Hi As Alistar has stated it is unlikely to be condensation at this time of year. More like weathering problem or plumbing problem (some times plumber run pipe into loft via the soil pipe boxing/duct) When lead slates are fitted weathering collars or mastic is used to stop water running down the side of exposed pipe and in the gap between pipe and lead. These sometimes fail or perish. Good Luck

the soil pipe will not be lead!!
:D
Why not ? As late as the 40`s soil/vent and wastes were done in lead. They even taught how to bend a thinwall (4inch) pipe as part of the C+G plumbing in 1972. Me and a M8 got top marks for that exercise :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Why not ? As late as the 40`s soil/vent and wastes were done in lead. They even taught how to bend a thinwall (4inch) pipe as part of the C+G plumbing in 1972. Me and a M8 got top marks for that exercise :LOL:

:D seen them "not a lot" but on the ballance of probabilities i would say lead collar and cast pipe, water tracking down through the collar down the pipe and exiting through the living room ceiling. probably ;)

And here is me thinking you were like 30-odd, Nige. lol

[EDIT] just read the "Anhydrous Copper Sulphate salts " post too.

nigel, bobbins shapers formers etc were still in use on 4" in 1978 C&G's. my uncle,RIP,apprenticed 1916, could bend shape wipe and roll lead like it was speedfit. Thank God for plastic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back