making good joints in screw-ring sink waste and trap connect

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I fitted a new overflow and plughole to a stainless sink yesterday. I re-used the existing trap, washing-machine connector, adjustable stem. They all had screw-ring connections, I took then all off and cleaned them well before reassembly. I did not fit new rubber washers. I lubricated all the joints and threads with washing-up liquid as my silicone grease was not handy :oops: Access is awkward as it is in a 500mm under-sink cabinet.

I put a dry rag underneath to witness any leaks, and I had a few drips after running the washing machine. How do you ensure a good seal on these screw-ring joints?

Sponsored Links
the trap inlet seal (thin ones) can be a pain they stretch or not sitting square all the way round.
the outlet seal (thick ones) are useally pretty good
if not change then.

Have, on occasion, used several turns of ptfe to build up a replacement/reinforcement for old rubber seals. Naughty, I know, but noone has called me back due to a subsequent failure.

Have, on occasion, used several turns of ptfe to build up a replacement/reinforcemanet for old rubber seals. Naughty, I know, but noone has called me back due to a subsequent failure.

bang on the money there son ;)

Sponsored Links
So have I.
Don't use the thicker gas tape though. I thought it might be better, but no, it's definitely not as good for this sort of thing.

If all else fails, and sometimes it does, your finest BG trowel and a tube of LS-X can save the day :D

thanks, I have retightened them all, if it still leaks, I will disassemble, clean again, add PTFE and lube with Silicone grease.

I don't think I've got any replacement rubber washers to fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back