central heating thermo rad valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello. just fitted new thermostatic valves to 5 radiators in my house
i cleaned and flushed all the rads and when i refilled the system added some inhibitor and some boiler noise reducer. after switching the heating on (all rads set at no 5 hottest) it seamed to run fine after bleeding all the rads. but when i turn down all the rads to approx no 2 the boiler kettles and bangs alot (as before) i have read etc that u should always have 1 rad valve set on the highest is this correct, did try this for 10 mins and the boiler did seam to run better ? (open vented system) any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Agree with KP it needs a by-pass valve, but even so one has to wonder why the boiler stat doesn't shut down.

What is the make/model of the boiler

Sponsored Links
Or just stick to lockshield valves in the room with the roomstat; saves you having to pipe in a bypass. Unless you have a conventional boiler with zonevalves.

cheers. there are 5 radiators. it is a myson economy boiler (approx 20 years old) there is a bypass valve fitted near the pump. not sure if ths should be fully open or closed . how do you set it, i think it is slightly open at the moment. the kettle/ knocking etc is not that bad it only seams to do it with the heating on, never when i use the hot water. there is are no room stats just the boiler stat and it does kick in and outwhen the system is on ?

try opening the by-pass valve a little (with the system on) and see if the noise abates. Be warned the valve itself might leak when you adjust it.

Bypass should be automatic; creating a "leak" by sticking a gatevalve between the flow and return is a poor solution.

You are probably right about not being compulsory to have an automatic bypass 20 years ago. It should be automatic from a performance and efficiency point of view is what I meant.
The "leak" I referred to, is the produced heat "leaking" back into the boiler via the bypass, causing a higher cycle frequency and a slower response for ch and dhw.
I have a habit of forgetting that the rest of the world is not as mad as I am, and therefore won't always understand how my twisted my mind works.
Apologies for that. Don't worry, I may be mad, but am friendly and mostly harmless.

cheers for your input. the bypass valve seams just to be a gatevalve. not really done anything with it. when i did open it there was a rapid gush of water, so that tells me it should be open just a touch. this valve i replaced approx 8 years ago as just a gate valve, should it be a thermo type valve ? also all the lockshield valves on each rad i fully open till the heating got hot then i closed them say turn and a half. just as a guess got no gauge, any better way ?

ABVs work on pump pressure rather than temperature.

dont understand. is the byepass valve ok as it is or should i open it a touch?
You said you have a Myson Economy; do you mean Economist? If so the installation instructions say:

To adjust the by-pass

The boiler should be fired with a full load, i.e. central heating and hot water and by-pass fully closed. The system should be balanced and fully vented. Adjust the pump to give a temperature rise across the boiler of 11°C (20°F). The boiler should then be switched to domestic hot water only. If noise is experienced under these conditions, the by-pass valve should be gradually opened to increase the flow rate through the boiler until the noise stops.

As for balancing , you said: also all the lockshield valves on each rad i fully open till the heating got hot then i closed them say turn and a half. just as a guess got no gauge, any better way ?
A valve which is a trun and a half closed is, to all extents, still fully open. You need to work between closed and one and a half turns open to balance the system properly. It is very sensitive, so work with eighth turn changes at a time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back