Moulding hollow step and storage units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

This is my first post. I have searched the forum but not found anything to help answer my questions below.

We are building an extension and I am looking into building a storage cellar. Space and budget is limited - our architect is proposing a rectangular structure with difficult access, not as elegant a solution as I would wish.

Assuming that a basic tanked hole can be made by our builder, I was taken by the idea of a spiral structure made from interlocking moulded concrete units forming both the storage and the steps inside that tanked space. This has the advantage of being efficient access down into the storage space.

Here are 3 graphics showing what the elements look like to give you an idea of what I mean.

View media item 14404 View media item 14405 View media item 14406
Questions:

1. Can anyone recommend a company that can make moulds and/or form a limited run of 60-72 shelf units and 10-12 step units?

2. My rough calculations suggest that a c600mm wide span with section 50mm x 100mm of fibre reinforced concrete should be able to support a 200-300kg load. Can anyone comment? Would other reinforcement be required?

I must stress that this is for my personal use only: I am not looking to compete with anyone selling similar solutions using more advanced technologies.

I need to come up with a cost before making my case to the wife...

Any help or comment would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Very small storage spaces, IMO your not going to get a lot in there.

Unless your thinking of your wifes shoe collection :D

They look like they could be made from MDF etc.

budget is limited
You're idea is likely to be incompatible if that is the case. Presumably its for wine? Out of interest whats with the 100 dia. holes? As mattylad said, an independent spiral stair and independednt shelves in mdf or similar may be the way to go. Its not such a crackpot idea though. http://www.spiralcellars.co.uk/how-it-works/ Only about £10K + from them! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It looks beautiful. Proceed whatever the cost. This could be the Concorde of the cellar world. Might even end up in the Tate one day....

David - if you'd like to contact me I'd be delighted to discuss something very similar to your drawings. We have as a concrete precaster something very similar that we designed and produced for another DIY enthusiast. 01661 833923. Telephone

oh nicely done.. create an account to ask a fictitious question about a product that you sell, then create another a few days later with the solution to the fictitious question...

Coljack - if you'd bother to check the location - you'd have noticed that we are 120 miles south of the enquiry !!! Why would we bother !!! Just trying to help somebody out. Is that not what this website is supposed to do !!!

and holmslaws location has him as russia.. you set your location when you sign up.. it's not automatic..

Col, stop being so cynical, you're in danger of morphing into BAS :LOL:

I would have said these would need to be pressed for strength and on that quantity they are not going to be cheap. Also you build from the bottom - how are you going to get these heavy concrete sections into the basement - cary them down a ladder?

It is also going to be a very dark staircase - wrought iron would be better, easier on the feet and probably off the shelf. Easy enough to build MDF storage around it.

a frame chain hoist over the hole?

couldn't you just use polystyrene blocks and shuttering to cast in situ?

big square hole and a standard spiral stair would probably be cheaper in the long run..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back