Bathroom extractor fan (Slight variation on a theme!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all. Apologies for the post but i have searched this forum lots of times for this and various other things, but can't find the exact answer to my problem.

I want to fit a bathroom extractor fan but position is a nightmare due to a window lintel and a flat roof. My question is, can i fit an inline fan with the inlet on the wall right next to the shower head - sitting on the tiles? I have a mixer shower with a pole coming out from the wall with the shower head screwed on the end if that helps set the scene! Or would i have to fit it above the shower head in the ceiling?

The roof above the shower is a flat roof, so it may be possible but a bit fiddly. i was planning on having the inline fan mounted in the small cupboard behind (with separate door) the bathroom which houses the boiler and the plumbing to the shower unit and from the shower unit to the head. Can i do this? Is it ok to attach the fan unit to the wall or ceiling? All the guides i see says install on a roof joist? I was just going to buy a core drill and put a whole in the same wall as the flue for the combi boiler, so the fan unit would be right next to the outlet.

Also, can i install the wiring myself as it's not in the bathroom? Just an fcu then 3pole fan isolating switch? Can i just connect to the radial circuit which feeds the boiler only which used to feed the immersion heater before i got a combi?

I was going to get this one:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/Fans/100mm+InLine+Shower+Fan+Kit+Timer/d190/sd280/p76429

Sorry for all the questions but the electrician who was round doing other things said he wanted to put in a 12v fan and run the cable from this cupboard to the far wall (Right next to the window) in plastic conduit which would look awful :eek:( I don't mind paying someone to do it i just want to know what i can and can't have so know what to ask for before i get the guy in, he's one of my next door neighbours so i want to know exactly what to ask for!

Thanks very much for any help given and apologies for the countless questions!

Andy

Sponsored Links
Two questions:

1. Is this going to be a fan with a timer? If so, it will involve the lighting circuit in the bathroom.

2. How close to the flue outlet will the fan outlet be?

Crikey! Fast response!

Yeah, i was soping for a timer. One that turned on with humidity would be better but they're unbelievably expensive!!!

The flue outlet and the fan outlet would be pretty close, like 30cm maybe? It would be within 6" of the top of the wall if structural integrity is the reason for the question? I'm hoping that'd be ok?

Thanks
Andy

The inlet vent would require a hole through the wall behind it for the ducting. Is this cupboard directly behind the shower head on the other side of the wall?

The vent itself is just a piece of plastic, so could go anywhere (no electrical parts). On the wall would be fine.

The fan needs to be fixed to something, but doesn't have to be a joist, could be the ceiling, wall, floor or whatever else.

Sponsored Links
No, I was thinking of the fan drawing in boiler gases when it isn't turned on. I don't know the safe distance, or whether you can use a backdraft shutter to prevent this. Maybe you could post this question on plumbing and heating.

If you are using the bathroom light to trigger the fan, then you are in notification territory, so best to use a sparky. But if you need a supply from the light, then you may as well be making holes in the ceiling (pretty easy to repair really) and avoid using trunking. In which case, you may as well use a ceiling fan (you can use 6"x2" box ducting. Although inline fans are quieter.

So no, don't use the immersion circuit, but use the existing lighting circuit.

Yes, the cpboard is directly behind the shower head. i'm planning to put a washing machine in there if that makes a difference?

Ok, so i need to cut a 4" hole behind the inlet vent straight into the cupboard(or into the ceiling then between the joists and back down through the ceiling in the cupboard), then fan unit screwed onto the wall, then straight out of the wall next to the combi flue?

How about the wiring!

Thanks a lot
Andy

So could i go with the electricians suggestion, only when he's gone hide the cables in the ceiling? I thought you couldn't hide 12v cables in the ceiling or in walls?! I'm hoping you can as that's how my under cabinet lights are wired in but i didn't want to do anything myself which is wrong / dangerous?

Ask your sparky about the wiring.

A basic timer fan will involve taking a live, switched live, neutral and earth (using 3C&E cable) to a fan isolator and then onto the fan itself.

There a requirements regarding earthing/bonding and residual current protection which your sparky will help you with.

Hi thanks for your help, it's not so much the wiring i'm worried about as such, he can do that, it's just i want to put the fan in place and at least have an idea of where he's going to want to put cables so i can have it ready. For that, i need to know where i can actually site the unit such that he's not going to refuse to wire it in as it's in the wrong place!

As much as i'd love to be able to pay him to do the whole job, it's a 'pay him an hours wages to finish it' (probably an evening seeing as he lives over the road!) job or don't have one at all :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back