Ideal Mexico HE18 Boiler & Potterton EP2000 Controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Got called out to a job today which has baffled me a bit. The lady has had a new boiler put in and a new pump (as above) in place of her old one (not sure of the make). The only thing the plumber touched was the actual boiler and pump.

The programmer wasn't touched. Now what is happening is the heating comes on when you switch the Hot Water demand on. When you switch the heating on, the boiler doesn't fire up.

Can anyone help as I seem to be drawing a blank, Mondays are always the worst days for this sort of job, probably me just being a muppet!!!!

Thanks in advance

Ian

Sponsored Links
Not wired right. What type of system is it an S plan a Y plan??
Or what?
Not enough info to help you!

There are relatively many posts about this timer considering how few there are of them. Chances are it is knackered.

The simple fact that the installer left this bit of antique, shows that he either really didn't care, or didn't know, the choice of Ideal is another indicator.

Swap it for a proper independent 2-channel, wire it in properly, and impress the owner with sudden increase in performance of the system.
It really isn't worth the time you have to put in to work out exactly where it goes wrong.

Hi

Just to clarify its a Y plan.

After speaking to the ladies husband it transpired that the installers swapped boiler + pump, then when wiring something up, they blew the programmer. They then went and bought the exact same model programmer and basically swapped the front onto the old mounting backplate. He says it worked fine on the old boiler but thinks it worked fine for a week with the new boiler which now baffles me even further. That is if he is telling me what really happened, and we know that doesn't happen often. :)

It just seems bizarre that the heating comes on with the water but when i put the heating on it doesn't fire up, seems like they are reversed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks bengasman

going to start at scratch again, and have a look at the whole system as i'm inclined to doubt some of the story.
Thanks for replies

Are you saying heating only comes on with hot water when both being demanded or if you request HW only the heating still comes on

Hi

No the heating comes on with the hot water and the hot water comes on with the heating on but no heating, sounds like something is reversed somewhere but they said all they did was swap boiler/pump and fitted a new programmer front to old mounting bkt. Said the old boiler worked fine so going back on the trail again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back