Repairing garage flat roof, any help much appreciated...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings all! I have spent much time this evening reading through previous posts and am impressed by the knowledge here, maybe you could help me...

The problem:
My girlfriends father is currently experiencing a leak in his garage ceiling. He has had a couple of quotes from local firms, but I thought I could help and see if I could 'do it myself'. I have included the only image I currently have so you can see the structure. The house is in the two floors above the garage, which protrudes about 8' from the upper floors.
What I currently know:
View media item 14638:arrow: As far as I know, the leak is coming from "somewhere in the middle" of the ceiling.
:arrow: I don't know the condition of the boards, but as the leak has been present for some months now, I fear they may be rather damp/rotten.
:arrow: The surface of the roof is felt with gravel, I don't know the age of the current felt and am unsure if it was a hot/cold lay.
:arrow: The picture doesn't show clearly and, from speaking on the phone, I'm not sure what condition the flashing is in.
:arrow: The configuration of the felt and fascia looks odd, with the board in front of/underneath the welt???
:arrow: There is a gutter (not visible) that runs from the wall to the front of the garage wall along one of the edges of the roofed area. You can see the neighbours equivalent opposite, inside the porch next to the bin.

I will be getting more pictures soon, along with details of said quotes, I will be posting anything else I know. I thought I'd get this post up to get things started though.

I am relatively competent with most DIY tasks, having fitted kitchens, bathrooms and floors; assisted in loft conversion and landscape gardening. Flat roofs are somewhat foreign to me, but I have spent a lot of time reading up on flat roof repair and fitting.

:?: If boards appear to be in good condition underneath, and easily visible cracks/splits are on the top, would it be wise to attempt a simple 'patch it up' in the short-term?
:?: If some boards are ruined, would it be feasible to strip back the roof and replace some/all of the boards and re-surface the roof? (I'm hoping it isn't chipboard)
:?: If the boards are screwed, could the timbers be damaged also? Looking at the picture (not brilliant) Could replacing these timbers be a 'big' job, worthy of calling in the workmen?

Like I said, I'll get more info a.s.a.p. and will probably come up with some more questions. Any help at this stage would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
In a nutshell, jump up and down on the roof, if its solid, scrape all the stones off, re-board straight on top with 19mm ply or OSB, buy a one piece sheet of EPDM rubber, a tub of glue, search the net for instructions and hey presto.

Quickest, cleanest and cheapest DIY job I can think of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back