Am I mad...

Insurance £1000pa new customer and £5k excess for flood damage.

The property has flooded three times in the last 100 years, once in the 50's and twice in 2007 (the 2nd time within a week of the 1st) where we had the worst rainfall in July since records began.

The village has received £750,000 to protect the 26 homes that were flooded in 2007 but yes there's no guarantees...

Insurance company have stated premiums will go down once flood defense has been installed.

It is a risk...

Chris

Sponsored Links
Apart from building your house within a tanked (on the outside) concrete swimming pool (which is obviously impossible) there is no protection available that will protect it during a flood. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise, to do so is to lie to yourself. You have a risk of flooding and will have to live with it if you buy.

Wise words from Fred. The consensus seems to be that you should go ahead, but in answer to your original question, yes.... you are mad. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Nige. I remember seeing the last floods on the telly and some guy had all sorts of perimeter defences - but the water table rose and he said he watched the water rising out the middle of his garden as a puddle getting bigger and bigger. Sometimes you just can't win.
Good point, Joe. I`m familiar with the flooding in Uckfield and Lewes ( my neck of the woods) not a water table issue there though. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back