toilet seat does not stay UP, HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just had a new toilet fitted. it is a tavistock toilet and has a soft close lid. when i lift the seat up it doesnt stay up, and keeps falling back down..
what can i do to sort this out??

a couple of points i think my floor has a slight dip in it.
the back of the toilet which i think you call the tank, is not flush on the wall. it starts of flush against the wall, then as it gets to the top a gap appears.

help appreciated..

Sponsored Links
Because the cistern isn't flush against the wall tilted forward the seat can't lean against it.
Get the plumber back.

Sponsored Links
enliven what is the fix, does the pan need to be moved forward slightly. is that why the cistern isnt flush

you've already said you think the floor dips.
level the floor or level the pan.

did he fit the floor aswell ?

On some of those cheap b&q type toilets the cistern sits away from the wall when tight on the doughnut. Is it one of those? If it is try adjusting the seat forward as far as you can.

he didnt fit the floor. i have floorboards, on top of which i laid 6mm ply everywhere.
its not a cheap toilet is a CC toilet made by tavistock

6mm ply wo'nt really do nothing
what are you planning on putting on the ply ?

stick a level on the floor see if it runs out.

Is it possible to reverse the hinges? I've had a similar problem before, and noticed that the studs protruding from the hinges weren't central in the plane of front-back of the pan. Swapping them round gave an extra 10mm or so distance between the cistern and the start of the hinges, which allowed enough tilt for the lid to stay up properly. It's not exactly a true fix to the problem, but it's sure as hell a lot less hassle than trying to put more distance between the pan and the cistern!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back