Plasterboarding over disused fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed the 12.5mm plasterboard covering a bedroom fireplace, because there was a prominent ridge where I thought there was a lintel (at the top line of the removed plaster.) I now think that the wooden framework was placed too far forward, and the ridge was a bodge to join up with the original plaster.

I have repositioned the wooden framework, so that it is level with the brickwork (and the top crosspiece locates on brickwork at the right.) I am thinking of fitting in some 9.5mm plasterboard - and then getting a professional plasterer in to skim up to match to the original plaster.

My queries are:

1) is a thickness of 2mm to 3mm sufficient for the skim coat?

2) at the lower right-hand side, there is a 10 mm wide strip of the original plaster (because the rest of the original plaster came away with the plasterboard.) Will this be useful for the plasterer, or is it better removed?

3) I was thinking of using Wickes 9.5 mm Baseboard and Plasterboard Adhesive - any good reason for using something different - and if so, what?

4) Do I need to butt the plasterboard tight up to the original plaster, or will the plasterer be able to fill up small gaps?

5) Any suggestions of a reasonable price to be charged (Bristol)?

Additional info: neither this fireplace or the one below are in use (or have been for 30 years.) The stacks end in the loft space, and are on the wall joining the attached semi; there are/were no ventilation bricks, but no signs of damp.

Thanks in anticipation.
[originally put in wrong forum.]

Sponsored Links
If I were you I'd leave it to the guy that does the job, it won't save you any money.

I'd say that £150 would cover it comfortably. Maybe even £120.

As long as them battens that are left are treated and they are solid you could probably leave them or take them out and use treated timber and make sure they are fixed rigid (2"x2" or 3"x2") take the plaster off from the right hand side to the other wall. get a plasterer in and ask him how he would like it prepared or wether he wants to prepare it himself....I would say about 3 hours work, so call it a morning and about 85 quid cash...

Sponsored Links
Thank you both; you've saved me some work. I have rigidly re-fixed the battens - now to find a plasterer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back