How do I remove a stuck waste from a Basin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to fit a new waste to an antique corner basin. I'm not able to undo the threat as the entire waste rotates in the basin. Is there a special tool or trick to doing this? I've alredy tried penetrating oil in the thread and heating the nut.

Sponsored Links
removing stuck nuts is a problem, but there are a few tips/methods you might like to try. A.If you have managed to undo it a small amount, it sometimes pays to turn it back again before trying again. B You may need something to hold the waste pipe at the plug end.Depends how handy you are at producing make shift tools. steel tube cut away at the end to leave two lugs to engage with the drain hole might do the trick. C. I doubt if you can use a junior saw to it but you could try a rotary tool with a small diamond cutter 20mm diam to cut the thinest part of the nut. D. Also consider drilling a small vertical hole in conjunction with the previous tip, this will mean less material to cut. An alternative to the 20mm diamond disc, there other cylindrical diamond cutters that could be tried. E. Maybe you should also consider the plug end of the waste, with the 20mm diamond disc horizontal in the plug hole, you might be able to cut around the circumference until the flange comes off.
The rotary tool is worth every penny (well £20 at B & Q )
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If there's some thread protruding below the nut..... and you've removed the waste pipe - working from below, use a hacksaw to cut across the diameter of the thread, cutting upward to the nut. Rotate 90 degrees and repeat, and repeat at various angles. When you feel there's enough cuts, bend the thread inward until the nut loosens or drops off, maybe ....?

Regards, Graham

:LOL: Thanks it worked a treat! I used a 20mm cutting wheel and then finished off with a junior hacksaw to ensure I didn't damage the enamel.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back