NEFF Dishwasher spray arm trickle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an inbuilt NEFF dishwasher which drains ok, but when it comes to the wash cycle is filling but making a whirring noise (circulation pump?) and only a trickle coming out of the lower spray arm. So I'm guessing this could be a blockage somewhere, or the circulation pump is shot (but why the whirring noise?) or (I read somewhere) might be the diverter valve in the halfway position. Is there a way to get to a clear diagnosis and fix without replacing everything? eg if the pump is shot, would it still make a noise?

(Don't know if this is related: in normal operation before this problem at the start of the cycle, after draining, there's a pause while (I think) the machine fills and then kerchunk - kerchunk-chunk-chunk kerchunk - like a water valve hammering on and off a few times, and then the machine starts normally. I've wondered whether that was healthy or symptomatic of a problem somewhere - or it might be totally irrelevant to today's problem.)

Thanks for help
Steve

Sponsored Links
dirt in pipes

take lid & side panel off

check the water chamber and the thick pipe from the bottom of the chamber to the sump

you'll see the debris

Cakeman - thanks - taken the matrix off and sure enough there's a chunk of gunk top left corner. Trouble is - how to get it out? I've squirted a hose up all the pipes at the bottom, and the angled overflow pipe at the top to no avail - I've poked a long piece of copper wire up each hole but I can't get to the offending mess. I've taken a photo you can see here:

http://s609.photobucket.com/albums/tt178/smallins/Dishwasher/?action=view&current=DW_Gunk2.jpg

Surely there must be a way to get this lot out? Advice welcome,

Thanks

Steve

boil the kettle 1st
then tip the water flow chamber so as the gunge is low
pour in a bit of bleach to run down
leave for 10 mins
pour on boiling water and jig about
it will go
patience required
don't forget to check the pipes that feed off this chamber too ,

Sponsored Links
Hi Cakeman

Could you please help me with a similar problem? I have cleaned out the filters and rotors, and also removed the gunge from the multi-tubed fitting on the side of my Neff dishwasher. But the rotors still do not work.

Maybe a tip for you. There was no bleach in the house so I used caustic soda to clear the tubes - very entertaining.

Regards

Mike

sometimes can be bits of paper and plastic blocking the motor impelloer rotors.
Take off the outer casing to reveal the impellor and clean out the little lugs

caustic soda - sounds very entertaining :evil: :eek:

The picture shows the gunge in the top of the matrix which is a result of
occasional overflow from the waste outlet and has little to do with your issues.

A nice warm humid environment for all kinds moulds to develop....

If it drains out then your problem is lack of flow through the machine

If you havent done so already remove the lower kick plate and metal cover and thoroughly
clean the pipe between the pressure chamber(rhs of matrix)
and the sump.

you should also remove and dismantle the pressure chamber which sits
on two plastic supports(prize the lock tabs forward at the base and it pull
upwards to remove.
With the rhs paneloff you should also visuallycheck the main circulation motor to see if the vanes are
spinning round when the machine starts the main wash cycle.

Sometime the main pump can get jammed or stuck and will burn out fairly quickly if it continues to try.....(could be your noise)

You can sometimes free it with the encouragement of a flat blade screwdriver on the rear vanes.

Do this from a safe distance and plug out if you are going into the machine.

If all this checks out then you are likley to have the problem with the flap motor in the heater assembly I'm afraid.

Thanks for the help guys. In the end I found that prodding a bottle brush up the tubes at the bottom of the sump did the trick.

Thanks guys. I had the same problem with mine, followed the advice above, spending an afternoon in the garage up to my eyeballs in removed parts (ace!) and now it's working a treat.
I found the same problem, a gunged up one way valve at the top of the plastic water pipe matrix thingy. Whilst in there, I stripped everything apart, cleaned out the gunge from every where and now it's as good as new.

Cheers!

Hi
I have same problems with mine (3/4" tube under the door blocked with 'ectoplasm'!)
The 'kerchunk kerchunk kerchunk' sound has been around for about 6 months but just ignored which was first mistake
Second mistake:
The blockage at top rhs of heat exchanger concerned me....so much so that I tried to flush it out and managed to burst the plastic film!!
Any ideas how best to replaced repair this other than duck tape (which will never be permanent)
Thank for help so far
Wish I'd read this a week ago

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back