Stopcock leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I open the stopcock for my mains water supply the stopcock body leaks but if I try to tighten the nut on the body it restricts the efficiency of the stopcock and the capacity to open and close it. What can I do.

Sponsored Links
Hi Kev forgive the delay I was making my usual Sunday pilgrimage to B&Q. (I need to get a life )Re-packing the stopcock seems a better alternative as the Blue pipe the tap is attatched to only just protrudes from the corner of a concrete floor ( sorry breezer , should have mentioned that )and I wouldn't be positive that I would get the seal I need whilst attatching a new tap. If the worst came to worst I could always go at it with a chisel but first I think I will go for the alternative fix so I'm off to the how to pages.Thanks to both of you for responding to my message.

Sponsored Links
Just try tightening the nut on the spindel as they come loose when you use them and then they leak

It's routine to loosen the gland nut before turning the shaft then tighten it after to stop it leaking.

Turned one Friday. Wouldn't quite shut off so I turned it tighter - top came off in my hand, with water still dribbling out of the taps. Lead each side of stop cock, all behind the skirting.

Turned one Friday. Wouldn't quite shut off so I turned it tighter - top came off in my hand, with water still dribbling out of the taps. Lead each side of stop cock, all behind the skirting.

So I guess we all know what you were doing yesterday, then. :cry:

check out this pipe freezing kit.

The problem is the old main stop tap to this property was seized and despite WD40, undoing the gland nut etc, it refused to budge. No problem I thought, lets turn off the main tap to the property. It's a block of flats and the rising main was at least 40mm pipe, the stop tap was huge. Guess what? it turned a treat but didn't stop the water flow, the washer must have perished.

Ok where's the boundary box for a block of flats? in the middle of the frigin road that's were ! (I checked when the road was clear for a few seconds). So either go to the traffic people at the council or get down to Speedy Hire and get a freeze master electric pipe freezer. At £34 plus vat / day.

The freezer won't freeze moving water so you only get one chance at this plus I was concerned the pipe might burst (well wouldn't you be ?). The £700 box of tricks worked a treat, the two black plastic hoses (covered in white frost) carry refrigerant to the two metal blocks clamped to the copper pipe, it froze it within ten minutes (it says on the box it takes 1 hour for 40mm pipe!). The ice plug held back mains pressure water while I changed the old stop tap (I even had to remove the old nuts and olives on this one). Mercifully after allowing the pipe to thaw the repair was sound, and no, I hadn't thought about what I was going to do if there had been a power cut.

stopcock.JPG

Nice job brumy, but you've made a right mess of that cushionfloor. :eek:

Er, nice pic but that pipe doesn't look like 40mm :confused:

buy a new stopcock then swap the main body on yours providing the seat is ok you have new stopcock

BE CAREFUL!
Undoing the oldun could be v diff and a nightmare if connected to lead pipes. AND the threads have changed sometime or other. If you have a stop cock made in GB with female bsp threads each end you have a better chance that the internal threads will be right.

So I guess we all know what you were doing yesterday, then.

I removed woodwork etc and got mole grips on the shaft, to open it again. Then soldered the top crossbar back on, so they can turn their water Down, at least, if there was a prob with the new plumbing this w/e. Back today with the lead-locks. I'll let you know..!

Oh, and did I ever relate the tale of the gut I met who'd frozen a pipe in a mansion block with rather high pressure. He was too slow. The ice plug shot out of the pipe and went through a stud wall. Yes, "through". And he got wet.

I'm glad I hadn't read that before the job in the pic. The electric freezer allows you as much time as you need I guess ?

I have the freeze master video somewhere I can't recall them sating there is a time limit.

The pipe I froze is of course 15mm copper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back