Cooker Hob and oven on seperate circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hob that is 6300w (27A approx)but the maximum fuse is only 30a for for main cu. I know this could be connected to their but this leaves the oven which draws 14A. Now rather than having to put in a higher rated cable and install a new consumer unit could this be done?
I used to have economy 7 electric heating but this has been permanently wired on by the electric company (The guy asked me when he was changing the old meter). Now about 1 metre from where the oven would go in the living room there is an outlet to which one of these heaters used to go.
Could this be used by extending the 2.5mm wire to supply power to the oven as it has its own fuse at the cu with nothing else connected.
Just wondering would you have to install another cooker switch in the kitchen or the living room? Or could the electrician wire this to the cooker switch to make the circuits run in parallel to the cu to increase the load capacity of the circuit and have the 45A cooker switch control both oven and grill.
Just to note i have 2 fuse boxes with 4 fuses in each. First does lights,sockets etc Second does what used to be 4 economy 7 heaters.
Just wanted to know what my options are before i get an electrician in thanks.

Sponsored Links
extended = no..
re-routed = yes..

technically you could extend the cable, but you'd have to leave the box on the wall where it is if it's not run in surface trunking.. ( ie chased cable into a wall ) ...
this is so you know there is a cable in the wall..

The hob seams fine as it is on the old cooker circuit (get it checked as it is old).

Definite no no on a "parallel circuit" if you blue a fuse on one circuit the other would still be live and overloaded.

A new circuit would be best, but you could ask your electrician if they can make your old heater circuit into a 16A radial but you would have to fuse the oven at 13A and provide a means of isolation. There may also be rcd issues with new cabling.

must read all the words before posting...
missed the parallell circuit bit..
definite no-no..

but re-tasking the old heater feed is a posibility as long as it's big enough..

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies, thought the parallel question would be a no no but just had a thought if i got a new cu installed could the electrician join the two circuits at the cu which could then join at the cooker cu, e.g. extend old economy 7 wire and join to ccu(Run in parallel). Could that be done or is that not allowed? does it have to be a single wire that can supply the load from the cu to the ccu? just trying to look at the options available thanks for your replies.

Just let your electrician do a proper job and not f*rt around trying to make a highly unbalanced parallel circuit comply with the regulations.

Just so you know what we are on about with the parallel circuits thing, its because if you send, for example, 50A down two different sized conductors the load will split, albeit un-evenly, between them and you would risk the smaller conductor over heating and setting fire to your home.

Thanks for your answers just what i needed looks like my best option is to have the hob on the cooker circuit and get the oven put on the old economy 7 outlet thanks for advice just gives me a heads up when getting the work done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back