leaky valley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
me father has a split in the lead on the valley of his , he has gone through his insurance, am i right in thinking that the contracter will replace the while valleys worth of lead?
cheers

Sponsored Links
cheers gents, al be there when they turn up to do the work, so should be fine

Sponsored Links
Hiya

It really depends on the size of the whole / crack and the condiction of the rest of the valley. If the valley is in good condiction and its just a small crack, then the roofer will just paint some aqua + over the affected area.

If the area to be painted is too large or too far gone, they might just cut that area out and patch a new bit of lead in, with 6 inches cover both ends.

If the whole valley is gone, they will replace the whole thing

Really depends on the condiction of the valley and your insurance company

CCK
Slater/Roofer

Hi I don't know at what stage you are at, but be careful. As in my experience insurance payouts often relate to the cause of the fault. As an example:- A slate slipping down the roof and puncturing the lead valley may be a claim, however a split that has occurred due to expansion and contraction, (bad design and over fixing) may not be payed out as a claim. Good Luck

Hiya

It really depends on the size of the whole / crack and the condiction of the rest of the valley. If the valley is in good condiction and its just a small crack, then the roofer will just paint some aqua + over the affected area.

If the area to be painted is too large or too far gone, they might just cut that area out and patch a new bit of lead in, with 6 inches cover both ends.

If the whole valley is gone, they will replace the whole thing

Really depends on the condiction of the valley and your insurance company

CCK
Slater/Roofer

Um no, if there is a split in the valley then the whole valley should be replaced, as it has clearly expanded to failure and the lead would have been weakened all over not just at point of failure. And painting aqua + or anything over such cracks are a bodgers answer imo, and just putting patches in as well. If a job needs doing then do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back