Protecting cable on external light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to change the ancient bulkhead light fitting outside my back door (which has not long since had new wiring and switch fitted when the property was refurbished), to a modern security light so we can see to put the key in the back door lock.

The problem is the cable will have to be extended by a few ccentimetres using a terminal strip and so far as I can see it will be exposed to the elements where it comes out of the wall into the new light.

My question is do I need to use special cable and how do I protect this short run of cable from the elements

Sponsored Links
Its difficult to comment without seeing the job really but you should avoid using a connector strip and use crimps, they will provide more protection than a connector strip - then buy some heat shrink wrap and cover the all the cables (in the corresponding correct colour). This will give it some added protection but will need to ensure that both ends of the heat shrink covered.

Depending on how short your cable is you should also out some mechanical protection in place such as a piece of conduit to protect the cable from damage. The better way would to be change the cable totally and use a short length of SWA where the cable is outside and use a outdoor junction box like this one - http://www.allaboutelectrics.co.uk/ip65-terminal-junction-box.html - to terminate the cable from the house and run the swa to the light from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back