Faulty 2 Port Valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a single 2 port valve above my Potterton boiler which from what I've read controls the flow of water to the rads. The valve seems to open and close correctly when CH is selected on the programmer BUT when CH is OFF and the valve is closed the outlet pipe to the rads is still hot and some of the rads still get hot, not very hot but still hot. If I turn CH on, either on the programmer or I open the valve manually with the little lever I can feel the outlet pipe get very hot so I guess open is working fine. If on turn CH off I can see the lever close but it seems somehow hot water is till getting through. Is it possible that the valve is faulty and is closing but not closing all the way thereby still letting water though? If so then do I need to replace the whole valve or just the actuator?

Thx

Richard

Sponsored Links
poss crud is in the port restricting the closing of the valve or the paddle in the valve is faulty and letting water past.

What is the model of the boiler.

Is there another valve for the hot water,
is there a by=pass valve,

I should think the whole valve needs replacing.
To check it turnsystem off and allow to go cold.
Once cold turn the hot water on ONLY, if the pipe from the valve to rads and the rads get hot the valve needs replacing. You would also more than likely benefit from some form of system cleaning to help prevent the same problem recurring.
If however the pipe stays cool and rads get hot your system is pipe wrong.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Its a potterton RS80. There doesn't seem to be any other valves. When I chatted with the last CH guy that came round he metioned having to add a second valve for isolated CH and HW control.

There is one other manual valve near the cyclinder with a circular handle which I've been told is an old way of controlling the amount of flow to the HW cyclinder.

Thx

The valve is probably letting by but assuming this the make of valve would be a good start before repairs are attempted.

TWGAS

When the system is cold and I turn HW on only the valve stays closed but the pipe to the rads gets warm/hot and the first couple of rads get warm/hot. If I then hold the pipe and manually open the valve with the other hand it definitly fully opens as it then becomes too hot to touch.

KR
Richard

Been in the house for 2 years and I've only just decided to find out why HW ON means CH kind of ON. Previsouly in the summer when I didn't want CH on I would just turn off all the rads.

So no it's not a recent problem it could have been like this for years!

From the OPs original description it still sounds as if the valve is passing though.

Are we not simply talking about an ancient c-plan that is finally collapsing?

this could be the valve not closing correctly and letting by possible sludge in the water. could also be installation fault with the return from the cylinder not being the last connection on the system with the 3 rads being connected after the cylinder. This could cause the returning water from the cylinder to be heating the rads

Thanks for the discussion guys. I've let it run for a while with the CH off and the valve in the closed position and it seems that all the rads are getting hot, not as hot as when CH is on but hot still. If I set CH to on they then get hotter i.e normal for on.

In my mind from what I can see it really seems like the valve isn't closed but is this common with valves? If it isn't then I guess it must be something else. I don't want to drain the sytem down and replace the valve unless the odds are in my favour.

The rads also seem to get hot in sequence.

Thx

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back