paint on coving and ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you can help,

I am at the moment painting a ceiling freshly plastered.

I have applied a misty, but i have now put on 7 coats of paint, ( silk).

Is there anything i can do to reduce this for the other ceilings i have to do.

also

Whats the best way to hide the join in coving, decorators cork or polyfilla and sand it back. ( or is there another genious way you pro's know about)

many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Use a good coat of cheap contract matt as a primer coat. Use decorators filler for small gaps. Silk isn't a very popular choice to be honest, why are you using it?

I would use contract matt but definately not cheap paint cos the base paint can't be weak, and the cheap paints are not so good.

7 coats? strewth! Must be cheapo paint..( wont even mention what I think of silk!)
I just finished a 'new' plastered ceiling Friday morning, it took 3 coats , 1 mist coat ( Crown contract matt) followed by 2 coats Crown vinyl matt -proper trade from Brewers ..

Sponsored Links
7 coats? strewth!
Got to say that’s rather excessive, how much are you thinning the paint down? You only need 2/3 25-30% thinned mist coats on green plaster. Thinning emulsion a little always helps get a decent finish (despite what is says on the tin!) but 7 coats :eek: Paint will never cover cracks/joints no matter how thick it is; for the coving joints use a good, fine pre mix tub filler & just sand it smooth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back