Multifuel stove won't stay alight for very long

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have recently had a Willow multifuel stove properly installed with register plate, chimney liner etc. However, I am struggling to keep the fire alight once the initial burn of the firelighters have worn off. :confused:

I have followed the advice about getting the fire started with rolls of paper or firelighters, building up a nest of kindling wood then adding bigger bits of wood or coal, with the vents of the stove open, but I always find that the fire dies out after the firelighter has expired. The only way I can seem to get it going again is to add another firelighter - which rather defeats the object!

Does anyone have any advice/knowledge on how to keep a fire lit, for longer than 10 minutes ?!

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
dry wood for a start..

what's your definition of "kindling"?
sticks no thicker than chopsticks.. then a few that are about finger thickness, then about an inch thick, and so on untill you get a good fire going, then put the logs on..

crumple 4 loose balls of newspaper[tennis ball size ] in a corner or edge in a triangle
as said above small sticks leant against then 3 times bigger wood leant on top then rabom chunks on top you do not need a fire lighter if done properly and shoud be well alight within 5 mins you can then add half the full amount then 5 mins later the full amount

these times are for a 15kw fire a 30w fire will take a few mins longer ;)

try leaving the door slightly open while it gets going?
there's more flame when starting than embers so it's likely to use a lot more air for combustion..

think this is a case of evolution gone too far?
modern man has evolved to not need the knowledge of fire?

you're a failure as a caveman...

Sponsored Links
try leaving the door slightly open while it gets going?
there's more flame when starting than embers so it's likely to use a lot more air for combustion..

think this is a case of evolution gone too far?
modern man has evolved to not need the knowledge of fire?

you're a failure as a caveman...

:LOL: You're right, I'm a complete caveman failure !!!

I did actually try last night leaving the door open a bit, and it seemed to help. I noticed also that once the body of the iron stove had warmed up, the fire lasted a lot longer.

Thanks to all who replied. I will persevere and crack this nut!!

I had the same problem when I had my stove. Here's what I do now and it lights first time.

Put shredded paper on the bottom of the stove. On top of this add five or six pieces of kindling (I buy mine from Wilkinson and it's quite chunky stuff). On the kindling place one Zip wrapped firelighter (I find the cheaper stuff doesn't work as well). Squirt BBQ lighting fluid on the lot. Put fuel on the bed (I use Homefire Smokeless fuel). I find I can really heap it up, enough for a full fire. Light the edge of the shredded paper. It should catch well with the BBQ fluid. Close the door but don't lock it. What happens with mine is a small inferno takes off. The shredded paper really goes up lighting the firelighter and kindling. When fire is going lock the door.

Works every time for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back