Honeywell V4073A Valve and clicking noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have what I believe is a Honeywell V4073A valve fitted to my CH and HW system. Just recently it has started to make a clicking noise, approx every 1-2 seconds. I have also noticed that when the CH and HW switch on, the heating runs at max and is not regulated by the thermostat. If I switch the CH off, it still keeps going. If I switch the HW off, then the CH is off too.

I recently replaced the room thermostat in my lounge. In the process of fitting the new digitial Sunvic thermometer I incorrectly wired the new device and tripped the fuse of the control panel. After reading previous reports I managed to install the thermostat correctly but fear I have damaged the valve or blown something electrical.

Interestingly, my TV flickers at the same pace as the clicking noise made by the valve which makes me think an electric switch is making the noise. It is quite annoying!

Can anyone advise? Previous reports seem to point to the motor or diode, is this easy to replace or mend?

Many thanks

Garry.

Sponsored Links
sounds like the motor is jumping the teeth on the valve.
take the metal cover of and watch the valve operate.

better to replace the complete actuator than the motor as it wears the brass teeth on the arm.

Thank you. I will take a look at this. Is it fairly obvious to see? i.e moving valves?

Sponsored Links
The cog will have stripped, probably because the valve has seized.

Best to drain down and stick a new one in.

If you snip the old wires off, leave the short ends in place, you can change them one at a time without getting in a muddle.

Quick update, the valve moves when the motor is switched between CH and HW but still makes a clicking noise. THe arm which controls Auto and Man does not appear to do anything. If I hold the arm to the Man setting then the clicking stops. When I let go, it starts up again. Is it a case of replacing the whole device?

thank you!

Best to take the actuator off and check the shaft is free, sometimes it's best to change the whole valve if it's getting old.

There should be a dimple on the silver case, if not you have to drain down to take the actuator off anyway.

Best to take the actuator off and check the shaft is free, sometimes it's best to change the whole valve if it's getting old.

There should be a dimple on the silver case, if not you have to drain down to take the actuator off anyway.
This clicking can be caused by the no hot water required signal from the hot water stat being missing via the grey wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back