A question about a corner strip used with plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I took down a plasterboard wall the other day and I noticed that the corner joints were taped-over with a tape that had thin metal (I think) strips built into it. This would be to make the corner joints stronger and less likely to get damaged if they take a knock. I am not talking about the metal mesh corner thingies that plasterers generally use.

Does anybody know what this tape is called and where I can get it? I looked in our local big B&Q and it wasn't there. I am presuming that when I (an amateur) rebuild the wall the tape with the metal strips in is going to be the easiest thing for me to get right.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Armed with the clue of 'flex corner tape' I managed to find it by a slightly
different name at B&Q and screwfix. It's known at both of these as 'Plasterers Corner Bead Tape'.

This brings me to another question. I can see from my online viewing that it says on the box that the bead should be stuck down with 'jointing compound'. However, if I search the B&Q or Screwfix web sites for joint or jointing compound I just find plumbers compound. So, does anybody know what is meant by jointing compound in this case?

I was interested to read the reviews of this beading on the Screwfix web site, where buyers were obviously not expecting to have to use anything to stick it down with. They were all moaning that it was not a self-adhesive product. Anyway, how should it be stuck down - with what exactly?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
This'll give you the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXq8BBa7IX4
The tapes can be put on using ready mix jointing compound,, but i like to put them on with Gyproc joint filler, comes in a 12 kg bag, mix it up using clean water. Sets solid in around an hour/hour and half,,, ish. Finish it off with a coat of ready mix joint finish/compound,,, let it dry, then next day, sand it down/paint.

In the video,, the guy uses metal corner tape for internal corners too,,, i've never seen metal corner tape being applied to "internal" corners. Ordinary tape is the norm for them.

Roughcaster.

the jointing compound at B&Q is easyfill, I prefer to use the thin coat angle beads, not the mesh ones. rather than the flex corner tape as you only need to nail them and they are easier to square up and keep a good edge, even if over troweled.

flexible corner tape on internals! :eek: seems completely necessary, never tried thin coat bead but does seem easier and can't see why not.

if you do use tapes, cut them all first, number them and the wall corners so that you know which piece is for which corner, THEN mix your compound/easifill, no point having a bucket of it going off while you're measuring tapes.

flexible corner tape on internals! :eek: seems completely necessary, never tried thin coat bead but does seem easier and can't see why not.
Now I’m confused again :confused: but after re-reading the thread you may well be right; if so, then it is completely un necessary.

Paul, can you clarify if your referring to internal or external corners here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back