help wiring a double dimmer light switch please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace an existing double gang switch with a dimmer switch. The switch operates 2 seperate lights in the kitchen / dining room, and there is one other seperate switch (single) that operates the kitchen as well.
However the 2 switches ie old and new, are completely different inside, and before i start messing I'd appreciate some advice.
The existing switch is wired in 2 halves as follows half one has 2 brown joined into connection labelled L at the top with a single brown wire into a connection labelled 1 at the bottom (the other marked 2 is empty), the other half has a single brown wire into connection 'L' with connection '1' having a grey wire and '2' having a black wire - there are also 3 earth cables (green and yellow) into an earth block.
The new switch has again 2 distinct halves but either way up ie all the connectors on one at the top, and the same on the other but on the bottom - the cables are labelled L1 , L2 and a symbal with I assume a current flow wave and an arrow crossing it.
Why they can't keep things the same I don't know, but any help would be really appreciated

Sponsored Links
Wavey line is your common or L.
So wire as you have it.
Using wavey line as L(com)
L1=1
L2=2

Take a note of the cables positions, a picture or drawing will help and marking cables prior to removing them from the the terminal they are in.
So you have a referance to where they should go back.

right - I have just tried - putting L's into wavy and aligning the 1's with L1's and 2's with L2's - at the moment I can only turn one light on at a time - ie the other light won't come on at the same time - they both work but only when the other is off - bizarre.

I have noted the positions - and have switched back to old switch - which works fine (thankfully) - wondered if I'd noted the wires down wrong

Do the terminals mirror eachother top and bottom or are they in the reverse order?
ie

Top: Wavey, L1, L2

Bottom: L2, L1, Wavey

Sponsored Links
top one half L1 L2 wavy, bottom on other half wavy, L2 L1, in effect it's the same switch on the other side turned through 180 degrees

So they are split so L1 L2 at top and wavey at bottom are same switch
wavey at top L1 and L2 at bottom the other.

switch 1......switch 2
L1 L2........... Wavey
Wavey......... L2 L1

no all connectors are in a row - on one side its left to right as you look at the back of the switch - L1 next to L2 neext to wave, and the other half is the same switch in effect turned through 180 degrees so when u look at it they are all in a row at the bottom : wave on left next to l2 next to L1 on the right - just uploaded a photo //www.diynot.com/network/apearson/albums/

decided to give it a go with a plug in light to help see - and your advice has worked a treat - we now have both lights working and dimming - your help is really appreciated - thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back