Radiator gradual cool down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a radiator that has gradually got colder over the last couple of weeks. Now it is not giving out any heat.

At first I though it was the TRV, but there is some heat on the radiator side of the valve. Could it just be sludge? It is probably the lowes radiator in the house.

Also, it is inadequate for the room at the best of times, it\\\'s a 600x1100mm double convector but I calculated that we need an 11,000 plus BTU radiator (600x1800ish depending on make). Is there any consideration I need to make before I change the radiator? Such as strain on the boiler etc?

Sponsored Links
Take your rad off and flush it thru with a hose. If you find there is lots of ***** coming out it will be worth flushing your whole system.
You could probably increase the size of rad without straining your boiler but best to have someone in to do the calculations for you. :D

Thanks, I'll try flushign it this weekend.

Is it worth using a special radiator cleaning concentrate and then an corrosion inhibitor or is just flushing the system normally good enough?

Well worth buying Fernox or similar to cleanse your system thoroughly and a inhibitor. Look after your system and it will look after you :D

Sponsored Links
I saw this in the local DIY store.

Are there any problems flushing a sealed system? Do I need to drain it completely?

I assume that when I refill I will get a few air pockets and need to bleed all the rads?

I would drain it completely, refill adding the cleanser. Run system as per instructions and then completely drain.
When you are satisfied the sytem is clean add inhibitor and refill to around 1 bar. Bleed all your rads and top up pressure as necessary :D

kevplumb said:
could also check the trv aint stuck part open :LOL:

I have noticed that there is a pressure leak and I see water dripping from the overflow pipe (or whatever it is?). Is this a replacement or a good crack with a hammer job?

Thanks

Nick

replacement it only opens at 3 bar so check the system pressure

thats not a trv its a prv

TRV thermostatic radiator valve

PRV pressure release valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back