thermastore and hard water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
I'm considering a thermastore type cylinder for domestic hot water. I've heard that they are no good for hard water areas. Are there any methods that can be used to solve this? Is a water softener an expensive option?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
getting a hydroflow (on the cold mains) and magnaclean fitted (on the boiler return) would be a very wise investment.

I hope you have added the correct amount of inhibitor too. . . . .

He says he is "considering" one.

He would do well to read old postings and see just how problematic they can be.

But during that he would need to ignore postings by Water Systems, Dr Drivel, Big Burner and George Bramall. ( All the same person who has been banned from posting on this site under any of those names. )

Tony

for single heat sources i can think of other alternatives but that doesnt mean in the right situation i wouldnt recommend them.

For multiple heat sources you cant go wrong.

Stores have improved greatly since boilermates and the other gledhill junk boxes.

Problems occur due to poor maintenance and lack of servicing.Stores never tend to be correctly dosed with inhibitor.

The other problem is some engineers call them troublesome cos they cant grasp fully the workings and thermal layering within and how they are beneficial in certain circumstances.

DM's suggestions are both spot on.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comments.
I might just stick with the gravity fed cylinder and put a pump on the hot.
It would be difficult to unhook cold bathroom outlets from the mains feed so I'd be hoping that the pumped hot and mains cold would be ok for the thermostatic shower. Anyone have any experience of this.

Equal pressures are much more desirable but depending on the pump and the mains pressure a reasonable balance can often be obtained.

Sometimes the balance can be assisted by a simple pressure reducing valve.

Tony

Useful comments, thanks.
Re the pressure redcing valve, you are presumably talking about putting it on the mains cold rather than the pumped hot (and only if reqd of course)?
Also do know any good pumps for this type of arrangement?

To get the best balance its necessary to measure the dynamic pressure from the mains and from the pump and design a system.

Tony

pressure-equalising-valve-344-19644m.jpg

pressure equalising valve :idea:

That is an equalising valve which is slightly different from what I was suggesting ( and a bit more expensive ).

It trys to balance the pressure of hot and cold feeds to an outlet like a shower.

I think they are really more intended to balance a mains pressure with a tank fed pressure. I dont know how they would fare if presented with two high pressures. Subject to measurements of your pressures and a comparisom with the specs of that valve they may be another alternative.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back