Replacing gas cooker with dual fuel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old gas cooker has given up the ghost. I am wanting to replace with a dual fuel cooker. There is a socket on the wall above the cooker that says "cooker" and has a switchable socket in it. Someone has said I will need some sort of plate on the wall as well as this. The new cooker will be one of 4 I am looking at, all with gas hob and two electric fan ovens. I sort of assumed it would be a simple matter of the fitter connecting to the gas and plugging it into the wall. I am now thinking perhaps this is not going to be the case! Sorry I know nothing about this sort of thing lol. Been without a cooker for a few weeks already so want to know what complications might arise from buying a dual fuel. Oh and this socket has been put into the chimney stack wall in the kitchen, the kitchen has a part concrete and part floorboard floor, the floor by the cooker is concrete. The house was built 1890 but I am not sure when the wiring was done - quite a while ago though.

Sponsored Links
You will need to get a sparky in to assess what is required for the installation.

He will need to know the power rating of the oven to determine cable size and overcurrent protection requirements.

He will also need to determine if your current installation up to requirements as far as adding a new circuit is concerned

Assuming it was done properly in the first place, and remains sound, the cooker circuit will be fine for the oven.

If the oven doesn't plug in then you may need the fuse/MCB to be changed to a lower rated one to comply with the manufacturers instructions.

Someone has said I will need some sort of plate on the wall as well as this
Are you sure there isn't one behind the cooker?

Is the existing circuit RCD protected?

Best bet is to get an electrician in to have a look..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back