Texecom Premier instalation questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just ordered a Texecom Premier 48 alarm system.
I'm pretty sure I will need a bit of help on a few matters over the next week or so from the experts, hence the name of the post so I won't need to keep starting new posts and all the info will be in one place for others.

If anyone has any advice on planning, installing & programing this system, your help would be much appreciated, by myself & I,m sure future DIY installers.

PS I hope this thread is OK, as I am pretty new to forums so don't know much about the etiquette.

Sponsored Links
To start with the quick start guide I downloaded recommends zone 2 is guard access.
What is a guard access zone?

Guard means that zone will trigger immediately a detector is operated.

The access attribute is added to any guard zones that are on the entry or exit route. A zone with this attribute will BE IGNORED during the entry/exit time.

For example. You have a contact on your front door, a PIR in your hallway and the keypad in the hall.

On entering the house you open the front door, the front door contact is operated, starting the entry delay. You walk into the hallway to the keypad. The hallway PIR knows to ignore you.

If you where to smash the front window and enter the hallway without first opening the front door the hallway PIR would activate immediately.

In this instance, the front door is usually on zone 1 and set as entry exit. The hallway PIR is usually zone 2 and set to guard/access.

Access is also known as inhibited entry on some systems.

Thanks Lectrician that perfectly clear now.

Now that I have plenty of spare zones, if I put a PIR in the porch is there any special types I should go for so that post coming through the letter box doesn't trigger the alarm.

Sponsored Links
If you want a pir in the porch it may have to be a dual tech sensor rather than std.
If your porch is mostly glazed it will give false alarms to std sensors.

You would want to place the PIR pointing away from the letterbox.

Similarly in rooms, ideally place them facing away from windows.

Thanks guys for the recommendations with regards to the porch.

How do I tell which resistor is which that has come with the control panel, they look almost identical.

resistor-color-code.gif

Although I would think it is in the manual for the system anyway.

A multimeter is a good tool to double check you have the correct resistor too.

The diagrams in the manuals for connecting the resistors is a schematic, and does not show exactly how you would connect it in practice. Many first timers struggle with this. It takes a little bit of thought at first.

Thanks Lectrician for the diagram
There doesn't seem to be anything in the manual about identifying the resistors, on the packet it says
8 x 4k7ohms
16 x 2k2ohms
16 x 3k3ohms

with help from your diagram I think I have identified them

2k2ohms = red red red gold bands
3k2ohms = orange orange red gold bands

is it easy to double check with a multimeter as you suggested, as I have one but haven't got a clue how to use it.

Thanks Lectrician for the diagram
There doesn't seem to be anything in the manual about identifying the resistors, on the packet it says
8 x 4k7ohms
16 x 2k2ohms
16 x 3k3ohms

with help from your diagram I think I have identified them

2k2ohms = red red red gold bands
3k2ohms = orange orange red gold bands

is it easy to double check with a multimeter as you suggested, as I have one but haven't got a clue how to use it.

Really easy using a multimeter. Does yours have selectable resistance ranges? IE is there a section on the dial that goes from 200, 2000, 20K, 200K, 2000K?

If so, simply select the 200 range, plug the red test lead into the Ohm socket (Ω), the black lead into the "Com" or "Common" socket. Place one of the probes (does'nt matter which) onto one of the legs of a resistor, and the other probe onto the remaining leg of the resistor. If you don't get a reading, move the selector to the 2000 position. If you still don't get a reading, move it to the 20K selector. For a 2k2 resistor you will normally get a reading like 2200 or therabouts (it could be 2195, or 2203 as resistors tend to vary in their actual readings slightly)

Thanks scott

The values I,m getting with the multimeter set to 20k are
4k7ohms = 4.62
2k2ohms = 2.40
3k3ohms = 3.34

PS Not getting very far yet with the installation, just routing a few more cables.

Am I right in thinking that I am best of using the EOL wiring rather than double pole?

Double pole is easier if you've never fitted resistors in detectors before, but EOL is more secure.

Fitting resistors is fiddly, and it can cause problems if they are'nt fitted securely, but take your time, check they're connected soundly and you should'nt have any problems!

Thanks Scott

Ive just bee looking at the PIRs & instructions (Texecom Prestige IR) which have EOL resistor jumper links, does this mean I don't have to fit resistors to these PIRs if I set the jumper links to the correct values?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back