Where to buy a double pole pull-cord switch for bathroom fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am trying to replace the pull-cord switch of my bathroom extractor fan. I have now determined (after wasting lots of time, and trying to replace with normal 1 and 2 way ceiling switches) that the existing switch is a double pole switch (where the switch switches live and neutral at the same time - there are 4 terminals plus earth). But I cannot seem to buy a replacement switch anywhere! Can anybody help?
The only double pole pull-cord switches I can find are rated at 45A, which I think is too high for an extractor fan - I was thinking 5-6A??? I have been offered a 3 pole fan isolator switch but I don't know whether I can use such a switch to replace a double pole fan switch???
Replacing this switch has turned into the hardest DIY project I've ever tried. Any help would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your very quick replies!
As I am a complete electrical novice, can I just check that 15-16A isn't too high for an extractor fan?
And will both switches have 4 terminals plus earth?
As you can't see inside a switch until you've bought it, I'm wary of buying any more switches, getting them home and then finding they only have 2 or 3 terminals! I need more than Com, L1 and L2...!
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Yes they are double pole (4 plus earth) (though B&Q site says it is single pole it is not).

With a switch (or socket or connection unit or any other similar accessory) the rating is a maximum it can handle, you can use a smaller current on a higher rated switch but not the other way round.

The switch and base come separate, you can see the connections thro the plastic packaging of the switch :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back