Power to garage 25 meters away - to dig or not to dig!?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a few estimates for getting power to my new garage. 3 sparkies said that they would tack the armoured cable to the fence running up the side of the garage, but the last one said it absolutely had to be buried in a trench in conduit with warning tape - which would mean digging a 25 metre trench and taking up part of a newly laid patio ( :eek: ). I've spent ages trying to figure this out for myself, but I'm going round in circles. The question I really need to know is:

Does the armoured cable which will supply my garage with power have to be in conduit, buried with warning tape, or can it be tacked to a fence out of the way? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hello.
Personally I would go with the 'buried' method. (No need for a 'conduit' if SWA).
I don't think there is an installation method for 'clipped to fence' :LOL: .

Otherwise, as PBOD has said, it depends on what sort of 'fence' it is, and the condition it's in, and the condition it will be in in the years to come.
Maybe you could save some money and dig the trench yourself (under instruction from the electrician who is going to be certificating the work)??

Hope this is of some help

Ed

Underground is probably best and safest.

Who owns the fence ?

If it is tacked to a fence with the fence owners permission it should not really be tucked away out of sight. Work on or close to the fence might damage the cable and while SWA is ( when properly fused ) reasonably safe it is still possible for a damaged cable to be a hazard. (( SWA cable cut, protection at CU trips, other services in house de-powered, trip reset and stays reset as the short on the SWA has been removed. Cut end of SWA is now live ))

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses guys. Again, there seems to be a range of opinions here - plenty of ways to skin a cat, and all that.

I own the fence. It's a mixture of concrete post and wooden posts. It's pretty solid and definately all mine! What I'm trying to do really is avoid having to dig a 25 metre trench and take up my lovely newly laid patio!

I think what I'm trying to figure out is:
Is there a way of making it safer/more visible if it were to be attached to the fence?
And could it be signed off if it was not buried?

I've just had a look through my 'Building Regs' book and it has confused me further! :confused:

If you run it along the fence then fit a horizontal batten or other carrier and fix the cable to this. It should have warning signs on it.

If you do dig a trench and can do it in a straight line from the patio then with luck you might be able to avoid digging up the patio. If the trench is deeper than the hardsore under the patio and "points" to where the cable from the house will be going under the patio then you might be able to hammer a length of conduit into the soil under the patio foundation.

More info available if is this is an option

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back