Fitting a new consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am looking for some advice on fitting a new consumer unit into my brick outbuildings. The outbuildings are a brick shed and an outside toilet and early next year I will be converting these to an extension with a new toilet and electric shower which would turn these buildings into part of the main house. Last year I had a qualified electrician fit electrics into these buildings by way of a main feed from the consumer unit to a 30mA powerbreaker. From this powerbreaker he then fed wires for lights and sockets to the buildings.

My question is... Can I use the wires from this 30mA powerbreaker to feed the new consumer unit

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No, the load will be too great.

Also, you should consider the following:
  1. Whether you honestly believe that you know enough about circuit design and testing to be installing CUs?
  2. Whether you actually want a separate CU for the extension, or if it would be better to have all the circuits in your house on a single CU.
  3. Whether your electrician installed that RCD because your existing CU has no RCD protection.
  4. The fact that the work you propose is all notifiable, and since you will have to involve LABC when the extension is built you won't be able to get away with not complying with Part P.

Check the cable between outbuild and house CU, what size is the cable and what sized fuse supports it at the house CU.

Most showers require a 40 or 45a load, therfore with the lights and sockets in the outbuilding I'd have thought a 65a design load would be required.

It's very unlikely that the electrician has engineered the feed to cope with that sort of load.

If in doubt post some pictures, CU close up, cable and the outbuilding end.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.... I will call the same electrician back to complete the work. As mentioned electricity can be disastrous, better left to the experts.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back