ideal isar intemitent dhw fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys and gals

been at this job all day its driving me nuts

the boiler works on ch fine but doesent fire up when the the h tap is openned and then it does fire up when you open the tap, but when you close the tap it still stays fired up and showing d on the display, i have changed the dhw thermistor but has made no difference

i have removed the divertor valve accuator and pushed the cartiradge in it works fine but when i remove the acuator and turn the boiler on and off the accuator go's in and out

any help

please

Sponsored Links
is they're actually any problem?, when the hot water doesn't fire when tap open is the water hot?

The boiler has a dhw preheat so doesn't always fire up straight away, as long as you have hot water they're is no issue.

The description your are giving is confusing.
You say it doesn't come on when you open the tap then it does??
Had a friend had a problem with one of these. Would constantly showing in hw water mode ie: showing "d". Turned out to be a leaking tap. He confirmed this by isolating the cold feed to the boiler.

sorry guys my head was frazzled when i wrote the discription on the problem

problem is:

when you turn on the hot tap the boiler fires (on full) but no hot water comes through and the display say "d"

after

this it still displays "d" even when the hot tap is off and stays on constantly

the only way to get hot water is to

turn the boiler off and on then some times the hot comes through

but still the display reads "d" constantly

i have changed the dhw thermistor this made no diffrence

and have isolated the in coming cold main to check if its a leak but still does the same

Sponsored Links
have you checked the plate heat ex?
if boiler stays in "d" for more than 1 minute after you turn off tap and you are absolutely sure that Plate is clear and diverter valve is clear and working correctly
then it is the infamous crappy PCB playing up the only board that is half way reliable is the new orange board.
in this situation i would arrange a visit from ideal on fixed price get them to bill you and add your costs to customers bill otherwise your into a £400+ bill which customer won't thank you for.

i have changed the pcb twice in this model before and managed to source a orange one on ebay for about seventy quid

the divertor valve is cool and the plate to plate seams to be clean

i will try the pcb

i have changed the pump, divertor valve manifold be cause the were leaking and the thermistor

cost isnt a issue really its a favour for my crazy mental pregnant sister

thanks for your help guys n gals

the diverters have a tendency to stick. therefore it'll try to do preheat but heat all the radiators instead, take the head off the diverter valve and see if you can move the spindle in or out - it'll spring return itself if it's ok. if that's all ok then it'll be a blocked plate heat exchanger.

it sounds like absolutely nothing to do with the pcb as the boiler is firing up fine.

Turn the boiler off for a couple of hours to cool then switch on.
When displaying the d, feel the flow pipe to see if it is getting hot?
I had a similar problem, saying d. It was the diverter valve defective. The rads were getting hot. I know you said you changed the actuator but it could be the actual valve??
Good luck

have you taken the diverter out as it is prone to getting crud in the body and sticking before it goes right in.
my money is still on the plate H/E !

i have ordered a pcb will try that,
i did have the divertor valvemanifold out and the valve body cleaned it think i will remove the plate to plate and give it blast through with the hose to clean it
thanks again guys i will keep you posted :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back