concrete tiles, no felt. Loft conversion - options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi eveyone

Just in first stages of planning loft conversion. Builder pointed out lack of felt. He said options were:
Go ahead without

OR (what he would recommend) remove tiles, battens, fit new felt and then may as well have new lighter tiles.

I have never noticed any leaks, although you can see salt deposits on the back on some tiles. The roof slope in question is south facing.

I'd be grateful for any views on this situation. I'd obviously rather not have to fork out for a new roof, but at the same time don't want to put the new work at risk of water damage.

Thanks for your time

SB

Sponsored Links
We have a bit of a mantra in our office in this situation. `Felt does not keep the water out, the tiles do'.

Having said that of course, you'll have a scaffold up for the conversion (I assume) and this is a fairly major cost when having the roof done, it depends really on how long you reckon the roof will last, if it'll do another 20 years then is it worth it but any less than 10 years you'll be paying out again for a separate operation in a relatively short time

well the felt does keep water out if/when the tiles fail.
as mentioned by previous poster,well worth mulling over doing the whole roof while the scaffold is up.get a quote anyway.

thanks folks for replies.

Just had another builder round who was not bothered about it. The tiles look in good nick, but yes, getting a quote for replacement while the scaffolding is in place is a good idea.
Cheers

SB

Sponsored Links
I would felt personally, but do you really need to use brand new tiles? If the old ones are ok chuck em back on again. You might as well order in 10% of what's there for breakages and to replace the duffers.

Go for breathable membrane regardless of detailing, costs a little more but is the only option IMO.

Its a risk versus cost thing especially if the tiles are in good nick and there are no dodgy flashings or awkward junctions to leak in the future.

The existing tiles are concrete and I've been told are really a bit too heavy for the roof, so if they were being removed, replace with something more appropriate as the actual materials cost of the new tiles isn't huge in comparison with labour and scaffold. Mind you I'd have to dispose of them....

SB

Doesn't the omission of felt suggest a much older roof thus a much older tile.
If you're really considering changing them check out the recycling possibilities.

Also bare in mind that felt keeps out the wind as well as a tonne of crud.

Only downside is ventillation suffers which has to be countered with breathable membrane and/or vents.

Thanks again folks. The tiles are concrete so I guess not really old... but I'd nver thought about recycling - would someone really find a use for my old tiles?

Yes, the loft gets very dusty at the moment, but as I'm having it converted, the insulation/plasterboard should sort this problem out...

SB

You can easily recycle the tiles, on your own roof!

The only thing that heavier tiles can really do to an inadequate roof is bend the rafters slightly in the centre, AKA 'dishing'. So you could still use the existing tiles if you beef up the roof timbers slightly to take the extra weight. They will probably need beefing up somewhat anyway to take into account the plasterboard that will be fixed to the underside. If your rafters are currently 4x2 then sistering 6x2 to the sides is one way to increase their strength.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back