new consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to source a new consumer unit for my extension, my electrician has left it down to me, he said I need a 14-16 way plus two unprotected fuses. Can anyone suggest a suitable model? and how do I know if they are capable of running unprotected?

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Most electricians wouldn't let you make the choice as they have their own brands that they keep spares for etc.

I hope that your electrician is going to do the correct notification and certification?

Anyways - look for a flexible high integrity consumer unit.
You'll probably need a double decker arrangement to get that number of ways in a 17th edition version.

Don't bother trying to buy fuses for it though. ;)

Hi,

Thanks for the info. My sparks is going to install, check and certify everything but he wanted me to buy the items so all he has to do is turn up and install it.

so I'll need 17th edition for building regs and do I have to but a particular box capable of running unprotected or is that down to how the box is divided up?

For example of it was a 12 way box with two sides, one side could be protected and the other could be unprotected?

If this is the case then I guess I need a 17 edition with three sections???

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info. My sparks is going to install, check and certify everything but he wanted me to buy the items so all he has to do is turn up and install it.
Even though he knows that you know SFA about what is required, and could easily get something which he cannot use?

Yeah, right... :rolleyes:

so I'll need 17th edition for building regs

You need a "17th edition" consumer unit to comply with BS7671(2008). To comply with Building Regulations the work done should comply with BS7671 and a whole list of other standards.

For example of it was a 12 way box with two sides, one side could be protected and the other could be unprotected?
It depends on the manufacturer and how they are marketed. In general, for domestic installations, all circuits under the new regs would need to be RCD protected.
To meet certain criterea you need more than one RCD; that's why the board you linked to from Screamfix has two RCDs.
For special circuits (smoke alrms eg) you can have these running on special none RCD protected ways. Some boards provide this as standard, some don't. Some makers (Hager, eg) require you to buy busbar expansion kits to enable the unprotected ways. You can even have special protective devices (RCBOs) that give you individual RCD protection for each circuit.

Its not difficult if you know what you are doing.
Any experienced electrician will know the best way to approach it. What's the reason that your electrician cannot do this? Its a nightmare if customers buy critical components - its never a money-saving exercise as (again) an experienced electrician who is a customer with a decent electrical disty will be able to get a good trade price.

You haven't even started to ask questions about what protective devices will be needed. Thats a whole other can of worms.

thanks for the info – totally understand where everyone's coming from, problem is i'm quite far down the road with this electrician and he's proving to be a bit useless. Before the first day on site I asked him to source cabling etc, he said "yeah no problem" then when he turned up he had nothing! He gave it some old bull about not knowing what we needed, even though he had been to site and seen a plan. I can understand him not knowing exactly what was needed but he could have still sourced a few hundred meters of base cable anyway. The day he arrived I had to go to the electrical wholesalers with him and spend 2hrs messing around getting stuff and we didn't even get a trade price. He really is very lazy and doesn't plan ahead but as i'm so far down the road I need to stick with him as getting someone else will be a nightmare. Honestly I would rather he just get the item but I know if I don't get it he will turn up and not be able to do anything whilst we drive all around the area trying to find something suitable. So this isn't me trying to do some dodgy wiring on the side or trying to save a few quid buying it direct, it's me trying to make sure more days aren't wasted!

Sounds like a 15 way might well do it but it wont leave me any spares, wondered about this one as it seems quite configurable.

http://www.fastlec.co.uk/sentry-way-ins-17th-edition-twin-rcd-cons-unit-with-mcbs-p-2135.html

SPEC:

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1guwx/MK17thedition/resources/15.htm

Thanks again.

Sorry, but you don't want to hear this...

SACK HIM OFF

he does not deserve the money you are paying him...

the only thing I get my customers to get are specials... light fittings or particular swtches/sockets etc...

I agree.

Also, is he listed here: www.competentperson.co.uk

If not then he will not be able to notify his own electrical works. That is a LEGAL REQUIREMENT. Like using a Corgi installer to install a gas boiler.

If he says he is registered ask him for the organisation he is registered with and his membership number - you can then look him up on the relavent web site.

Remember - changing a consumer unit is like a heart/lung transplant for your house. If its done wrong then it won't be safe, you'll always be getting under that electric shower thinking "am I going to die today".

This electrician, he's not a young bloke from New Zealand is he?

Before the first day on site I asked him to source cabling etc, he said "yeah no problem" then when he turned up he had nothing! He gave it some old bull about not knowing what we needed, even though he had been to site and seen a plan.
See if you can find any real electrician on any forum who would go to start a job installing a CU and wiring a domestic extension without reels of T/E in his van.

getting someone else will be a nightmare.
On the basis of what you have said so far then sticking with him will be an even bigger one, and the longer you stick with him the bigger and bigger it will get.

thanks for the info – totally understand where everyone's coming from, problem is i'm quite far down the road with this electrician and he's proving to be a bit useless. Before the first day on site I asked him to source cabling etc, he said "yeah no problem" then when he turned up he had nothing! He gave it some old bull about not knowing what we needed, even though he had been to site and seen a plan.
You need to get rid of him NOW! The idea of paying for an electrician is that you are paying for their experience and knowledge and want to have faith in their workmanship. If he can't be bothered to find out what he needs when he turns up to a job then he's not very professional. What did he quote for when he actually turned up?

Any spark who has this sort of attitude to work and his customers is very unlikely to be registered to self certify work here and if he isn't then that is just going to cause you more problems in the future!

He isn't worthy of your custom! I wouldn't take my car to a garage for some work and expect the garage to ring me to get the parts because "they weren't sure what i wanted" - how would I know I was getting the right parts anyway!!

Sack him off. ;)

Any spark who has this sort of attitude to work and his customers is very unlikely to be registered to self certify work here and if he isn't then that is just going to cause you more problems in the future!
1) The EAL DI NVQ does not teach you a single thing about planning an installation, knowing what materials will be needed, knowing what you should carry in your van as a matter of course etc.

2) As long as you have that qualification, and the work you show them has finished up OK, and you know enough about testing and certification you will become a registered electrician. AFAIK they do not ask you about design & planning, they do not quiz you on your product and material knowledge and they do not ask if you have any accounts with wholesalers.

3) You can then set yourself loose on an unsuspecting public when you have never actually done any of the work you are charging for, and don't even have a clue where to begin.

but as i'm so far down the road I need to stick with him as getting someone else will be a nightmare.

No you do not have to stick with him.

NOT getting someone else will almost certainly create a bigger nightmare. One that might last for several months until you finally have to get the whole lot re-done to ensure reliable electrics and safety in your home.

One reason he may be asking you to buy the materials is because he has no credit ( financial and reputation ) in the local wholesalers. That strongly suggests he may be well known as a poor choice for electrical work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back