Junction Boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has recently been rewired however at junctions, it appears that the wiring has been joined to a plastic wire connecting thing which have then been taped up i.e. there is no actual junction box. Is this safe and can it be easily changed?

Sponsored Links
plastic wire connecting thing

Do you mean one of these?

TLCON2X.JPG

No. Definitely not. If you have had a rewire then you should not have any of these under normal circumstances.

They should not be taped up.

Sounds like the Lone Ranger and his boys have been in.

Bet you can't get them back.

If it is crimp connections though, then as long as it has been done correctly with the right tools (ratchet crimper), I believe this is acceptable. A real spark will soon correct me here if I am wrong about this.

both chock blocks and crimps are acceptable neither should be left just wrapped in insulation tape.

Sponsored Links
All single insulated cables (once out of the protective sheath) MUST be in an enclosure such as a switch or joint box.

Insulation tape should not be used as 'insulation' or an 'enclousre' :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back