Vaillant EcoTEC 837 & Underfloor Heating - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm after a bit of help / guidance on how my new central heating boilder and new UFH should be set up.

I have recently had fitted (by a Gas Safe installer):

Vaillant EcoTEC 837 Combi boiler
VRC430 with weather compensator - fitted into the face of the boiler
VR81 - remote from boiler, connected to the eBus on the boiler

This all works fine.

We have just had some fairly major alterations done, which now includes a wet underfloor heating system by "Wundafloor". This has a 3 port manifold with actuators, it's own pump, and will have it's own programmable room stat.

Currently the UFH Manifold is plumbed in to the main heating circuit just under the boiler (by the same engineer who did the boiler install). The UFH manifold has isolation valves on the flow and return feeds so it can be isolated if needed.

What I'd like to do is:

Have the traditional heating in the main part of the house (rads & towel rail) continue to be controlled by the VCR430 and VR81, acting independently of the UFH.
Have the domestic hot water work as normal on the combi - ie: on demand
Have the UFH as a seperate zone to the UFH, able to call for heat independantly when it's own stat requires it, ie: regardless of whether the main part of the house is calling for heat or not, and regardless of what the VRC430 timings for the main heating are programmed for.

The UFH has a wiring centre that the actuators and stat would be wired to.

Is the VR61 what we need in order to do this? Can anyone advise on the way this should be wired up? I'm not going to attempt this myself but would like to understand exactly what I'm asking for and how it should be done !

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
Hi Mhad, just about to tackle a similar situation how did you get on in the end, did you use the VR61?

Same here, trying to do the exact same thing.

Cheers
Ado

Hi folks,

I'm after a bit of help / guidance on how my new central heating boilder and new UFH should be set up.

I have recently had fitted (by a Gas Safe installer):

Vaillant EcoTEC 837 Combi boiler
VRC430 with weather compensator - fitted into the face of the boiler
VR81 - remote from boiler, connected to the eBus on the boiler

This all works fine.

We have just had some fairly major alterations done, which now includes a wet underfloor heating system by "Wundafloor". This has a 3 port manifold with actuators, it's own pump, and will have it's own programmable room stat.

Currently the UFH Manifold is plumbed in to the main heating circuit just under the boiler (by the same engineer who did the boiler install). The UFH manifold has isolation valves on the flow and return feeds so it can be isolated if needed.

What I'd like to do is:

Have the traditional heating in the main part of the house (rads & towel rail) continue to be controlled by the VCR430 and VR81, acting independently of the UFH.
Have the domestic hot water work as normal on the combi - ie: on demand
Have the UFH as a seperate zone to the UFH, able to call for heat independantly when it's own stat requires it, ie: regardless of whether the main part of the house is calling for heat or not, and regardless of what the VRC430 timings for the main heating are programmed for.

The UFH has a wiring centre that the actuators and stat would be wired to.

Is the VR61 what we need in order to do this? Can anyone advise on the way this should be wired up? I'm not going to attempt this myself but would like to understand exactly what I'm asking for and how it should be done !

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
the vr61 works well with UFH but its not supported by Vaillant for this purpose, depsite a zone of UFH being very common in houses in Germany (it enhances system efficiency by lowering the return temperature to the boiler)

If you do install it you need buy the vr61, and an electronic mixing valve. You can reuse the pump, but the UFH mixing valve should be binned.

You can keep the on-off thermostats and actuators but they weill not link back to the boiler...you must ensure that there is always one or two zones open for the pump operate, as it will do what it has to, which is not necesarily the way you understand it.

Finally you could do worse than just live with no interlocking controls..and manually punch in the same times...to the floor controls and vr 430

it costs quite alot of money to integrate effectively, and it is worth the investment assuming you want an integrated and seamless heating system that operates as the design engineers in germany intended..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back