Pumped shower plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to install pumped showers to bathroom and en suite. I have been told two separate pumps preferable to one more powerful. Thinking 2 bar pressure each - is that nough for a good strength shower? Apparently have open vented secondary system with indirect cylinder! I have a large tank in loft and a much smaller one next to it - both seem to feed down to airing cupboard. There is a hot tank in there. Pumps seem to have hold amd cold in and out. Am I right in saying that I should send two feeds from the large loft tank to cold and two from hot cylinder in airing cupboard to hot? Is it also right that I should not connect mains pressure water to the pumps? You probably guessed I\\\'m not a plumber and my builder friend has done most jobs but not this. I am really keen to end up with two good power showers through thermotatic valves and really would appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance. D :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Use 2 No Monsoon 3 bar pumps for what you want.

Cold feed to one is 22mm from the storage tank.

Hot feed to the other is 22mm from an Essex flange or secondary return tapping if purpose made cylinder.

Cold feed to cylinder should be a minimun 28mm preferable 35mm

Will try and post a pic later.

Thanks for coming back so quick - much appreciated. Funnily enough I have been looking at Monsoon pumps - trying to persuade my wife to go the extra expense for 3 bar each! Thank you for the offer of a drawing - that would be much appreciated.

If we have two pumps - one for bathroom and one for en suite would I need to take two feeds from tank in loft and two from hot cylinder or would it be ok for one feed each and split the one pipe by a junction going into two from the one feed? Should the feed from loft be from the exit pipe from the cold tank (the one going down to airing cupboard I assume) - ie make a junction on the pipe a short distance from the tank - again one pipe junction and the new pipe split into two to supply both tanks? Or can the junction be made in airing cupboard before it reaches hot cyclinder?

Sorry about the number of questions - just want to make sure we get it right!

Thanks in advance

You mention 22mm piping to pumps but 35mm preferable to cyclinder. Is this likely to mean replacing the existing downpipe to a larger width to allow for more down flow to cater for the pumps? I am assuming we have 22mm as standard at present but I havent checked yet.

again one pipe junction and the new pipe split into two to supply both tanks - I MEANT PUMPS!

Sponsored Links
Hello Kevplumb

Good point - hadn't thought at all. I guess would be looking for 5-10 min shower typically. Normally only using one at a time - two people. However if we have guests - could be both showers at same time used twice. Or if we have kids...!

We can leave boiler on to continually heat water in tank. Do you think that will be sufficient hot water? Can't see what capacity on the tank but its a good size one! Usually plenty for a bath and a couple of gravity fed showers.

Do you think 2 bar pressure would be enough for a good powerful shower and thus use less water? A couple of people have suggested three bar for a good power shower.

Thanks D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back