Boiler issues - struggling to solve it!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looked around here for answers but had to join and post in the hope of solving my issues!

I have a Forreli Optima combi boiler in my rented flat. It has the filling loop placed just below it. (Just cos I know terms, I know nothing about boilers - only just read up a few things!)

A week ago, me and my girlfriend went away to my parents' for Christmas and the boiler, hot water and central heating were all working perfectly. Never took much notice of the boiler as we flicked the power switch on the wall and it would auto-light and fire up the heating etc.

However, coming back today, we flicked the switch and nothing happened. We tried to use the manual ignition switch but nothing, not evens clicks from the ignition. We then noticed the pressure gauge was at the bottom, well below the red line. We then used the filling loop to raise the pressure up to 2 on the gauge. Then, water began to drip out of a hole on the bottom of the outer casing of the boiler. There isn't a vast amount, but there is a constant dripping. From reading forums etc, I'm guessing this is because repressurising using the filling loop to 2 on the gauge is too much and it's leaking the excess water out? It is clear water coming out.

However, we tried to relight again, hoping there was an auto-cutoff on the ignition cos the pressure was too low. However, again, there is not even any clicking coming from the ignition.

I unscrewed the bottom panel and there wasn't much water at all. I've established that the water seems to be leaking from the Automatic Air Vent/Air Separator area (I think) going by the Ferroli manuals on their site (in the archive bit as I think I have something similar to the Optima 801 model).

Now we're in our one bed flat with no hot water and no heating and it's freezing! Any ideas on what the issues are and how best to resolve?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
the drip may be coming from the auto air vent,very common on these

have you read how to light it?

demand for heat,then wait for fan to run for 20sec i think, then hold in gas valve,

im sure lighting instructions are on front drop down panel

Just edited my post and I think it is the auto air vent. Any idea how to stop the leak?

Also, tried following the instrustions in the drop down panel several times to no avail. It's almost like the igniter isn;t working or something. Or maybe I'm just being dumb?!

Also, just noticed the power cable running from the switch on the wall connects into the bottom middle of the boiler into a white plastic casing. This white casing is quite close to where the hole is where the water was dripping from. Is it possible something could have happened here to stop the ignition working?

aav is a 2 minute job to change

sometimes the spark gen is gubbed on these and sometimes the little plastic bit on the back of the grey button (on the gas valve) breaks off and doesnt push the microswitch.easily checked 1 screw on grey button and you can push the microswitch manually while pushing in the spring

there are also a frost stat and o`heat stat that would prevent it from lighting

these are under the combustion cover and require a gsr engineer to check

Sponsored Links
Is there anything I can do myself to get it working just for tonight and then get someone to look at it tomorrow?

only thing you can really check is the microswitch on the gv.pull the flap down on the pcb cover and see if its the board with the traffic lights on it.

about 8 lights vertical down the middle

does the fan run and no spark?

Did that and the lights are:

Green, Nothing, Yellow, Green, Nothing, Yellow

I say "nothing" where the LED is not glowing at all. Lights are horizontal too, not vertical.

And yes, it sounds like something is running, assumingly the fan, but there is no clicking usually associated with the spark.

If the fan is running it's probably running at low speed which means the board's gubbed mate.

How long would that take to replace/fix? And is it an easy job to do?

Just asking cos I don't wanna be ripped off on New Year's Eve by extortionate callout charges!

How long would that take to replace/fix? And is it an easy job to do?

Just asking cos I don't wanna be ripped off on New Year's Eve by extortionate callout charges!

doubt you will get one today as most of the merchants have shut at 3pm yesterday for new year - sorry :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back