Can you short a flow sensor to fire a Glow Worm 30ci

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
As per subject title, I have the symptoms of a faulty flow sensor:

Boiler's not firing when hot water tap is opened.

I removed the flow sensor and tested for continuity across the pins of the with a multimeter....whist running water through the sensor.

At first I got nothing, so I opened the flow sensor and cleaned sludge from the magnet. I then got a continuity reading from the sensor, so I refit the unit. Unfortunately the boiler still does not fire on demand from the hot tap.

Is it possible (im thinkng it is) to short across the connections from the plug to the flow sensor to fool the boiler into thinking the flow sensor is working? (obviously with the hot tap running too)

I have three wires connecting to the flow sensor. Grey, White and Pink.
thanks

Sponsored Links
if it flexiecom they are nown for flowswtich problems give it a tap put back in otherwise buy new one on monday

firstly ignore above ill informed advice.

if you have a multimeter you can check it works.

Set multimeter to measure DC voltage.

check pink wire only with TAP OFF and should be 0vdc OR 12vdc

with TAP ON it should be 5-6vdc and it will pulse on your meter.

Is it the grey one? this has been replaced by an updated black one which is more reliable.

Ok, I'll be able to test for DCV on the pink wire tomorrow. Gave up for the day now. :rolleyes:

I just want to understand why the boiler didn't ignite when i shorted across the connections in the flow sensor's plug.

And yes, It is the Grey Flow sensor unit.

Thanks MickyG for the accurate help. My Sister and her soon to be 2yr old boy do appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
I just want to understand why the boiler didn't ignite when i shorted across the connections in the flow sensor's plug.

because its not a switch. You can't manually replicate the on voltage. You can try removing it and blowing through it to test.

ok great,
thanks for that...it was the flow sensor.
replaced the grey unit for the black one and it's working ok now.
all the best

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back