WORCESTER BOSH GREENSTAR 28i JUNIOR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a WB boiler fitted March 09 and had no problems until I started to use the heating. I then noticed that a banging noise was occuring approximately every 27 seconds - even when the boiler shuts off completely this noise continues indefinately. This problem dissappears if the heating isn't used and then starts up again when the heating is put back on.

Please help.

Sponsored Links
open your thermostatic rad valves to fully open and see what happens .

Many thanks your advice although simple appears it's the correct thing to do to stop the noise - simple when you know how. Thank you so much.

this tells me that u either dont have a sufficient bypass on the system or one or more of your trvs are not bidirectional and are on the wrong side of radiator(s).

Sponsored Links
this tells me that u either dont have a sufficient bypass on the system or one or more of your trvs are not bidirectional and are on the wrong side of radiator(s).

Things are going from bad to worse, even when we don't have the boiler/heating switched on and there are no other appliances switched on, there is a dull thud and it can start at any time day or night, making the noise every 27 seconds to every 20 mins.
When the water is switched off and the system is drained the noise stops!
We have had the water board check and they say everything is alright, we've had the bosh engineer back, he says nothing is wrong with the boiler, we've had the boiler serviced, but the noise is still there, tonight it's been banging every 30 seconds !!!!

The Engineer didn't hear the noise because as I said - it can start at any time, day or night, the dull thud isn't there all the time but when it starts it can continue every 20 - 30 seconds or every 20 mins, it's even started at midnight for no apparent reason.

The boiler was installed March 2009 and we didn't have any trouble until just before Christmas when the heating was switched on.

:(

In November 2009, Fitz1 suggested we open the thermostatic rad valves to fully open and see what happens - that appeared to work for a short time then the noise returned as normal.

You could try removing the TRV heads so that they wont affect the bodies at all. See what happens.

Do you have your heating on all day and night? If it's not on during the night but it still makes the noise, i'm not sure how TRV's can cause this. Is the boiler preheat on?

check your expansion vessal , pipe to the vessal could be blocked , had the same problem on a boiler before

mark

You could try removing the trv heads so that they wont affect the bodies at all. See what happens - ANSWER - we have removed all the TRV it's made no difference.

Do you have your heating on all day and night? If it's not on during the night but it still makes the noise, i'm not sure how trv's can cause this. Is the boiler preheat on? - ANSWER - When it's cold the heating is on for about an hour in the morning and 3/4 hours in the evening, but even when the heating hasn't been on at all, it can suddenly start making the dull thudding noise for no reason! Never had a problem when the boiler was first installed, it was OK until winter, when we started to use the heating, that's when the noise first started. Sorry don't know what you mean by boiler prheat

Was this the guy who installed it - ANSWER - No this was an engineer from BOSCH who said he couldn't find any fault with the boiler.

Check your expansion vessal , pipe to the vessal could be blocked , had the same problem on a boiler before, ANSWER - will try that, thanks.

Do you have your heating on all day and night? If it's not on during the night but it still makes the noise, i'm not sure how TRV's can cause this. Is the boiler preheat on?

When it's cold the heating is on for about an hour in the morning and 3/4 hours in the evening, but even when the heating hasn't been on at all, it can suddenly start making the dull thudding noise for no reason! Never had a problem when the boiler was first installed, it was OK until winter, when we started to use the heating, that's when the noise first started. Sorry don't know what you mean by boiler prheat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back