Noisy Central Heating Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our central heating pump is very noisy. I have to have it set at medium speed to make the noise tolerable. I've been told there is nothing wrong with the pump itself.

Are there any particular makes/models of pumps that are particularly quiet?

Sponsored Links
I am not a heating engineer or plumber

how old is the pump? , i know its hard to put into words but what sort of noise does it make and when does it do it? does it chnge at all, say at start up? it may be that its getting old

the pump is only just over 12 months old. The house is only about 12 years old so inside its mainly stud walls so they don't offer much in the way of sound insulation. The pump is in the airing cupboard which is next to my sons bedroom and it disturbs him when it comes on in the mornings.

As you say it is very hard to describe a noise, best guess would be a kind of droning noise.

I was wondering if I replaced the pump, if there was a make of pump that was known for making particularly quiet pumps.

thanks for commenting.

it may just be a noisy pump. you can get a new one from here

or it may not be secure and vibrating too much, try securing the pipe with proper pipe clips either side of the pump first (cheaper) also if the pump is sitting on the floor put something uder it to stop the vibration being transmitted into the floor or walls, say polystyrene

Sponsored Links
I would suggest pipe clips either side of the pump. It may be the pipes vibrating because they are not secured.
I have just changed my pump because my other one was noisy. Now very quiet all the time. How do you know if your pump isny faulty?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back