1mm & 1.5mm T&E - Silly Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where are these used ?

Is 1mm used for the switch drops only.
and 1.5mm for the main lighting supply from rose to rose ?

Sponsored Links
generally best to avoid mixing cable sizes on a circuit

Most houses you can get away with 1mm for the lights, but if you have got long runs, or want 10A circuits because of lots of spots, then 1.5 starts to be used

Both carry over the 6A which is normal max on lighting so really it does not matter which you select for lighting. Should be same size throughout what ever size you use.

Worth remembering that 1mm is a LOT easier to work with in the very limited space provided for terminating the wiring in modern light fittings.

Sponsored Links
In the 21 years I've been working, I've yet to install 1mm2 t&e. It's always been 1.5mm t&e (and 3 core & earth).

In the 21 years I've been working, I've yet to install 1mm2 t&e. It's always been 1.5mm t&e (and 3 core & earth).

Me too!
1mm always looks far too skinny for me and it is quite difficult to stop it twisting itself into knots.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back