Extra wide kitchen drawer.Which runners?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a kitchen which has some very wide (1200mm) pan drawers in the design,I am a bit concerned about the tendency of the drawer to "rack" (I believe thats the term) owing to the width.I can locate various runners which will easily cope with the loading,and have soft close etc,and there is a rack and pinion system listed in hafele u.s. but not available here.Anyone out there undertaken antyhing similar?

Sponsored Links
not a good idea your drawers will need to be made from at least double thick material and wont be sutable for more than light stuff because off the span

Should be OK with the 50KG Blum Tandem runners, screw the back to the base which will stop it sagging and you can use brackets to join the base to the drawer front so that will give extra support and stops the front flexing away from the base.

With the base supported front to back in this way you will be OK with the standard 15mm base material or rebate some 18mm for a bit more strength.

If you are going for using wooden draws then don't groove the sides for the bottom just cut an 18mm board to the internal draw size and fit that with screws front & back.

Jason

Sponsored Links
I have some like that. Three are "Blum" system with cream-coloured ball-bearing steel sliders and steel angle that fits the drawer bottom (one of then is actually a sliding shelf with no front). I use them as pan drawers and they just have wire mesh sides and backs.

I also have two others I got from B&Q that are nowhere near as good, even though they came with full metal drawer sides and back, and front rails. Although more lightly loaded with cleaning stuff under the sink, they are less rigid and tend to come out unevenly or try to fall off the runners.

It is very important to get the drawer width exactly right, with no slack or wobble room.

thanks for that john.I will be using the blum tandem system which i have seen in practice,and it looks very impressive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back