Shower causing kettling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly - apologies if this is already covered elsewhere, I've been through the wiki and done a search.

I have a Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 40HE, professionally installed about 3 years ago and very reliable.

I also have an Aqualisa Visage digital shower, installed 18 months ago and working well in general.

My problem is this: about 1 time in 5 that the shower is used, the boiler ends up kettling and the shower (naturally enough) goes stone cold until the boiler cools down and resets itself. Examination of the boiler during this time shows the flow temperature to be way over 100 degrees, although DHW temperature never gets higher than it should.

The boiler NEVER kettles in any other circumstances, either for DHW or CH, only ever when the shower is used, and it always seems to be my wife that is under it when it happens. Typical.

The Aqualisa engineer said it was a boiler problem. I don't think he knew what he was talking about though, because he also said that rhythmic variation in shower pressure (high/low square-wave type cycling every 3 seconds) was a "boiler problem", even though there is no valve or DHW flow control in the boiler for it to be able to make that happen AFAIK.

The British Gas man who came to service the boiler last month said that there was nothing wrong with it. I wasn't there so I have no idea if he checked for sludge or anything like that. He dismissed concerns about kettling with some comment about the pump - of course, my wife couldn't remember wxactly what he'd said, but he still gave the thing a clean bill of health.

This problem was first noticed about 3 months ago and has steadily got more frequent, to the point that 4 out of 7 showers that my wife has had in the last week have gone cold (with the banging sounds of kettling).

We have good mains pressure and two supposedly fully working bits of equipment and yet it ONLY goes wrong when both are used together. I've not ruled out any of the usual suspects such as sludge, intermittent pump failure etc (especially as the problem is getting worse) but the fact that this problem only ever occurs when the shower is used is a bit baffling.

Do any of you knowledgeable types have any idea what may be happening here and what I should do to remedy it? Very grateful for any suggestions because, as you can probably imagine, the wife is on at me to sort it out ;)

Sponsored Links
it's not the Pumped version of Visage, is it?

does your wife like a very hot shower?

No it just uses whatever pressure there is, no pump.

The shower is set at a very moderate temperature (and in any case has a safe maximum temperature pre-set into the control unit).

Sponsored Links
Blocked plate HEX would be my guess, especially as I experienced exactly the same symptoms albeit with a WB Greenstar CDi when using the shower.

Interesting - why does this affect shower use only, yet running the hot tap is perfectly fine?

Would a blocked HEX require removal or just flushing?

Further information - we live in a hard water area but do not have a softener on the cold feed to the boiler. Could this be a scale problem?

Interesting - why does this affect shower use only, yet running the hot tap is perfectly fine?

Perhaps you don't run the hot water for prolonged periods in the same way as the shower, or perhaps when you do run the HW you do so with the tap fully open. If the HEX is blocked then having the large flow rate of an open tap may allow be allowing enough water through the heat exchanger to keep the temperature down, whereas the restricted flow of the shower isn't removing as much heat, thus allowing the flow temperature in the boiler to rise too rapidly.

Would a blocked HEX require removal or just flushing?

Depends how badly blocked it is, I suppose, or if it is even blocked at all. I'm surprised there haven't been more replies from the experts, as I'm an electrician, not a plumber, although I do tend to hang around on here a little to see what I can learn myself!

Holy thread resurrection, batman! ;)

Caught the boiler kettling yesterday with just the heating on, no DHW demand, so not just a problem with the shower it seems! On this occasion there was no loud banging of the pipes, I just happened to be in the boiler room when I heard gurgling after a shut-off. The flow temperature was up at around 115C.

What's the best course of action here - this is an intermittent and occasional problem but I don't want to let it go and end up with an expensive repair bill. Some sort of power flush to try and clear out any sludge etc from the system?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back