vaillant ecotec pro 831 anti cycling mode

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help please, our ecotec pro 831 boiler goes into anticycling mode when turning on the heating. After the burner kicks in the temperature goes up to about 75 degrees in the display then shuts down with the anti cycling mode kicking in. Can anyone tell me why and how to overcome this, please. The hot water works normally. Thanks in advance, taipan1

Sponsored Links
9 radiators & D.0 = 24 (I think that's right) Thanks for rapid response

Sponsored Links
Are all the nine rads turned on?

Depending on their sizes I would suggest setting d=10 to start with.

But what has changed or is this a new installation with a nupty installer?

Tony

Probably always been like it, how many Vaillants do you go to where the installer has bothered to set basic parameters?

This is an existing boiler that we had this problem when installed in July 2008. We had an engineer from Vaillant come out and I don't know what he did but he put it right (our installer couldn't).
Our water pressure went down all of a sudden ( I don't know why)during last week so I topped it up and it hasn't dropped at all since but won't fire up because it appears to begoing into this anti cycling mode. (the radiator symbol starts flashing although it doesn't go to S.8 on the start up display).
I have tried setting the d.0 to 14 as suggested and 10 after but it still does the same. On start up as soon as it gets to S.5 fan and pump running the radiator symbol starts flashing and it then goes to S.7.

Try setting d2 to 2 and tell us what happens.

The factory setting for this is 20.

Changing D.2 to 2 has fired up the boiler and it has stayed on. Temperature is rising on boiler display and radiators are getting hot. That is also still with the D.0 setting at 14.
Does that pinpoint the problem, and is it solved or should these settings be changed at all.

You say the pressure suddenly went down and you topped it up!

I suspect that this was not a matter of you seeing it but the boiler failing as a result of the low pressure and then you doing the topping up.

If thats the case I have often found the sensors over heat and become permanently damaged although the actual change in parameters cannot always be detected by a simple resistance measurement when cold.

Tony

Would that mean eventual failure of the boiler? It seems to be running fine on the new settings. What would cause the pressure to drop suddenly? After topping it up it hasn't dropped at all and there are no leaks. We do have a Cal-clear sludge filter on the return pipe, is it possible that could have bunged up somehow?
Thanks for all your responses, Dave.

You have to understand that the boiler is quite complex in what it monitors and what it can display.

For us to know exactly what it is doing we would need to be monitoring several parameters at the same time.

Setting the power d0 too high causes a too rapid heatup which causes the boiler to shut down into an anticycling mode.

Reducing d0 to 10 or 14 would usually have solved that by itself.

Dave obviously thought that your problem might be associated with a too long max anticycling delay of the factory setting of 20 minutes. Reducing that to 2 minutes has resulted in you telling us its OK now although from what you described that would not obviously have changed the heat up rate.

I am wondering why the manufacturers set it as long as 20 minutes but its not exactly what the description says and is superceeded by S53/S54 in normal operation anyway.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back