DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Blocked rainwater drain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyclonebri2

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote

Apologies if posted wrongly but can't find a section specifically fro drain queries.

Situation is we have a totally blocked drain carrying water of 1/2 a big roof. The drain has been blocked for a good while by the look of it, (only bought recently and still under renovation).
I can only asume this drains into the main sewer as there is a trap just below the gully. The main foul drain lies down the side of the house and has 2 access manholes, every thing here runs perfectly, but these manholes are before wher I suspect the rainwater joins and there is no further manhole to inspect from or rod.
So, as the drop fvrom the gully was frost broken due to remaining full constantly I have dug out the gully and trap to expose the clay pipe and get a couple of feet away from the wall to rod it. The problem is the drain is about 1ft deep at this point but then drops through 2 elbows but can't tell exactly which direction it runs and is about 3ft deep I,m guessing. Anyway I can get 7 rods down with ease but come to a dead stop, it actually feels like I,m hitting a stop or change in direction that the rods can,t make.
When I broke up the concrete to expose the drain it was obvious that there was 3" of later concrete on top of the original 3. I suspect maybe an access point was concreted over?

So can I hire or get someone to stick a sensor or even camera to pinpoint where the drain lies and and which way to go with this. I would sooner go this route then get a builer fried to dig out than put the whole problem with an unknown outfit?

Soory for the length of post, but any advise/experience would be greatly appreciated, cheers.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Nige F

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote

You could hire a cat scan icon_idea.gif CCTV would probably be too big to get round those bends
The following user says thank you to Nige F for this useful post:
cyclonebri2 (2 Feb 2010)
 Alert Moderators
Thermo

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote

how deep is the channel in the manhole?

It may be running into a seperate soakaway and not the main sewer. Have you tried pouring some water donw now youve cleared it?
The following user says thank you to Thermo for this useful post:
cyclonebri2 (2 Feb 2010)
 Alert Moderators
Chukka63

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote

7 rods is about 5m straight i reckon which ties in with the distance a soakaway would be away from your property.the roof should not normally be draining into the foul sewer unless ona positive system or special arrangements with the local water board.as thermo said,have you tried pouring a bucket of water down the drain now.
The following user says thank you to Chukka63 for this useful post:
cyclonebri2 (2 Feb 2010)
 Alert Moderators
cyclonebri2

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote

Hi and thanks,

I haven't managed to clear it, there was a lot of silt about 2 rods out but it,s still holding water up to the level I've broken into the drain at, ie, about 18" down.

The 2 manholes at the side of the house are probably 2' 6" deep and sit at a similar height to the rain water gulley. The drain must deepen a good deal from there as it runs under an upwardly sloping drive for about 20 yds.

I did wonder about the soakaway issue which is why I want to trace the drain run.

The house is early 50's, a well built ex police house, but the drive has been extended, runs towards the house and is chanelled into this same drain so is now collecting probably 4 x the water it originally did, so the soakaway could be both silted up and too small???????.

HSS do hire a detector kit for about 70/day which would at least proove if it runs to the foul water or away from the house to a soakaway?

What do you think ??
 Alert Moderators
cyclonebri2

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote

icon_wink.gif Thanking you icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
Nige F

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote

IF it`s running away a little - get some drain tracing dye icon_idea.gif . If that shows in the foul drain , that`s where it`s going-or should be icon_wink.gif Police House - ie; Government spec. That`s probably why there was a gulley...it still goes to a soakaway possibly. icon_cry.gif Now if I`d seen it I would have recognised it as ex Old Bill icon_smile.gif
 Alert Moderators
cyclonebri2

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote

Nige F wrote:
IF it`s running away a little - get some drain tracing dye icon_idea.gif . If that shows in the foul drain , that`s where it`s going-or should be icon_wink.gif Police House - ie; Government spec. That`s probably why there was a gulley...it still goes to a soakaway possibly. icon_cry.gif Now if I`d seen it I would have recognised it as ex Old Bill icon_smile.gif

Getting round to thinking it probably is a soakaway.
Dye idea won't be viable as the inspection chambers are "upstream".

Based on the opinions I will probe down with a steel rod to where the drain levels out, I was down to clay so shouldn't be a problem. If the runs direct to the garden ie 90 to the house it must be a soakaway, it would have to run out at at least 45 deg to meet the foul drain within the boundary.
Sounds like a plan icon_idea.gif
 Alert Moderators
Hugh Jaleak

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote

If you really fancy a challenge, put your rods down until you hit the 'stop', where they will go no further. Note distance, and then mark this out on the surface. Dig here, and you should find the pipe and hopefully whatever is the issue! If its a bend, will give you some idea of where the drain goes next, you may find a soakaway, or it may go nowhere! icon_eek.gif

I was sent to investigate a blocked highway drain that was assumed to connect to a storm manhole in nearby garden. After (a lot of) digging, we discovered it didnt actually go anywhere.... The 6" connection in the manhole wasnt connected to anything either... Obviously been like it for years! icon_confused.gif
 Alert Moderators
cyclonebri2

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote

Hugh Jaleak wrote:
If you really fancy a challenge, put your rods down until you hit the 'stop', where they will go no further. Note distance, and then mark this out on the surface. Dig here, and you should find the pipe and hopefully whatever is the issue! If its a bend, will give you some idea of where the drain goes next, you may find a soakaway, or it may go nowhere! icon_eek.gif

I was sent to investigate a blocked highway drain that was assumed to connect to a storm manhole in nearby garden. After (a lot of) digging, we discovered it didnt actually go anywhere.... The 6" connection in the manhole wasnt connected to anything either... Obviously been like it for years! icon_confused.gif

Thanks Hugh, icon_wink.gif I'm with you on that one, BUT, untill I am certain which direction the drain, be it soakaway or connected, runs in then, well, length is pointless without direction icon_eek.gif
Uuuuuerrr matron icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
Hugh Jaleak

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote

Ah.... Might be worth looking a hiring a CCTV camera? May shed some light on the situation....
 Alert Moderators
cyclonebri2

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote

cheers Hugh,

Prodded about today
The drain runs away from the house, parallel but 15mtr from the main soil, so ends in the middle of the garden/lawn. Exactly as you guys said.

I think we can proceed from here. we will fix the original guley/drain. leave it running away to the soakaway.

There is a soloution for the rainwater off the drive also, so will go that way, MANY THANKS TO ALL, icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: