lighting wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, about to install some downlighters in kitchen.
in the rose there is 2 single blacks together and one red with grey sheath (switchcwire). at the switch there are 2 single reds placed in the com and the red with grey sheath in the L2.
im a little confused as one of the blacks at the light energises when i turn on the switch in the living room. is this a borrowed neutral?

Sponsored Links
No. It is a looped neutral which is different to a borrowed neutral. It is perfectly normal.

Why on earth were you working on an energised circuit? :eek:

No. It is a looped neutral which is different to a borrowed neutral. It is perfectly normal.

Why on earth were you working on an energised circuit? :eek:

initially it was isolated, was investigating and realised it became live when switched. thanks so it is safe to place back with the neutrals ? what wiring method is this ?

Sponsored Links
what wiring method is this ?

It could be Ref Method A or B or C etc.

If you dont understand the above then stop working Live !

Even if you understand the above, stop working live!

I'm assuming the OP isn't 'working' live, but with the conductors out put his neon screwdriver (or similar) to discover what's happening.

Who of us don't do this on a regular basis?

If his neutral is becoming live on energising, there is something wrong.. Is it the switch wire return to the light?

If his neutral is becoming live on energising, there is something wrong.. Is it the switch wire return to the light?

As I understand it, the op had separated the two neutrals, so the current wasn't going back to neutral.

He does say that one of the blacks at the light becomes live when the switch is on, that sounds like the switch return. Which should be sleeved red/brown.

No it isn't. It is a back-feeding open circuit neutral. The op has already told you this is a singles installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back