Pump on 24/7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure how long this has been going on, because I only noticed when the pump got a bit noisy, but pump is on day and night, including when boiler is not on. I can't switch it off at the plug when I go to bed, because heating/water comes on before I get up.

I assume pump should be switched on and off by the boiler coming on and going off, so assume it could be a pcb problem.

Could a temp solution be to plug into timer so pumb comes on and goes off with water/heating, or could this cause probs. I know I could have one for example if I got a temp power cut. What could happen for eg if boiler came on and pump was off.

Cheers in advance for any halp and advice.

Sponsored Links
Pump at least should be wired in with timeclock so its running during periods when boiler is set to be on. Some boilers control the pump, your system details and boiler make/model might assist.

If boiler lights and pump is off, then the water in the boiler can be trapped and basically boils very quickly, usually making a banging noise and I dont think it does the boiler any favours.... Boiler wont work without power, so a power cut would knock both boiler and pump out.

Cheers, the boiler is a baxi solo 2 50 pf

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help. What do you think of putting the pump on timer until I get it fixed, or is it ok to leave pump running 24/7

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back