looking/investigating to install double glazing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm looking to put double glazing into my semi detached house. before i go into any specific's would appreaciate any help from anybody who has had doble glazing installed...

I am a widow and previously my husband took care of all the diy and any renovations to the house....thus it is my turn to take charge and install double glazing.....

If any body could give me a few hints about how I should intiate this project will be most appreaciated.

I intend to use contractors, either resourcing the materials and windows myself on the internet, or looking for contractors who can supply and fit....

I've had a couple of quotes and the option to use contractors who supply and fit is out of my budget and would like info or advise about resourcing windows and any other info if I were to organise it myself.....

Thankyou for any help...

If i've left out any information, it is because I am new to the forum and not used to using forums, but my son has encouraged me to do it for myself and use the diynot forum....thankyou....Tiat....

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately the dg industry is riddled with crooks and bodgers. Don't be misled by the big names who advertise a lot as, even though the product may be ok, they may sub-contract the work to someone who hasn't got a clue about correct fitting. The best deal can be from someone who works on their own and gets work by recommendations from previous customers.

i would say avoid a lot of the bigger names, eg ones named after mountains or ones with a silver knight on a horse if you get my drift. Get a few quotes (at least three) from local firms that have been established for a while. Have a walk around your local area, theres usually someone having similar work done, have a chat with them. Dont sign up to anything there and then, dont give your time to anybody who cold calls and happens to be in the area, and as soon as a salesman starts offering big discounts that have to be signed up for there and then kick him out. A locla small company will sound round an estimator, who will be there for a short period of time, measure up and should give you a written quote in the post.

Once you get a few, come back if you have any queries regarding the types of windows and any specific problems. i think i can speak for the majority of regulars on here when i say the last thing we would want to see is someone in your position get ripped off, so ask away if in doubt, most people on here will offer good advice to help

good luck :D

Agreed with previous posts,
See here and scroll down to "Double glazing adverts in the UK".
Good information there and if you're still not sure, your local BCO (Building Control Office) will have a lists of reputable windows installers who are highly recommended otherwise they get struck off the lists!

Sponsored Links
thank you to every one who has replyed....as much as possinble I want to do as much research as possible on the internet before committing to any thing...

one thing I would like to ask, I've been in contact with a local builder who has only just finished a house extension, 2 doors up the road to me, He has installed double glazing in there and I'll i've asked him for a quote for my place, the first thing I am considering is having upvc window's, I have wooden ones in the front of the house and even though they are a very good product, I have to maintain them every 5 years or so..I am looking to putting double glazing at the back of the house where it is slightly less accessible and more difficult to maintain because of a plastic roofed verander underneath some of the window's I would like replaced. Upvc seem like a good option because it seem's so much more maitanence free. Anyhow, the window's at the front of the house being hardwood frames are naturally stained/ painted deep brown and thus the window's at the rear should be dark brown UPVC window's, the builder advised me that coloured upvc windows are 2 or 3 time's more expensive than white window's...Is that correct?

He's dropped off a sample window to the house and it looks remarkably sturdy, however being a small sized window, I am slightly concerned that the window is incredibly heavy and wonder how heavy the full size window's will be.....

Besides the asthetic's of the sample window, is there any point's I should be looking at or asking?

Also having wooden framed double glazing at the front of the house and upvc at the back of the house might have an affect on the resale value of my house...I was wondering if there are any hardwood timber frames double glazing products which require less maintanence.....

Also what sort of questions should I be asking this builder up the road with regards my double galzing?

Thankyou for your help...

tiat said:
I was wondering if there are any hardwood timber frames double glazing products which require less maintanence.....
My mum's have hardwood double glazed windows and I just wipe Tung Oil once a year which take me about 1/2 hour to do ! You cannot beat the beauty of real wood grain. I have fitted many upvc window and they do have problem sometime. Wood is so much easier to maintain. It has been mention before on here and I agreed with thermo that the hardwood window are harder for burglar to break into as they make so much noise, I rather not go into details why. The white upvc window are okay on some property and can look awful on some. Next time round I shall go for hardwood window and they also don't appear to collect condensation as wood is a warmer material.

if you are able to carry out basic maintenance or have someone who can then i personally would go with masona and go for the hardwood, much better look and quality to it. If you are really concerned about that side of things then upvc has its merits but it does age over time and still needs a regular clean.
Wood is better from a security point of view despite what the salesman may say (im an ex-copper). It is however horses for courses as to what look you prefer. I wouldnt contemplate coloured upvc, it can detriate quicker in sunlight and for the extra cost you may as well go for wood.

As for what to ask the builder, ask if he has any clients where he has done similar work and ask for contact details. Make sure you get a written quote, not an estimate and ask for a breakdown of the prices. Dont just go to him though. Even if you like his work and intend to go with him, get some other quotes to make sure the price is in the right area. Ask him how long he plans to take, how will he make good around the jambs ie where the walls meet the windows (can get damaged when old ones are ripped out). make sure quote includes for all of this, clearing ALL debris from site and cleaning up. Ask how the work will be done ie one window at a time (stupid i know but i have seen all the windows get ripped out and boarded over while they do them leaving an insecure cold house!) how they will be fixed. Clarify if the price includes vat, what gaurentee there is with them and what make they are.

I hope it helps, any problems ask away!

thermo

I had UPVC windows and doors installed at a cost of £12500.
They are CR Smith, Lorimer range, and are coloured light oak.
After two years they all faded badly. I received some compensation, but still have the rubbish windows to look at every day.
If I were to do it all again I would go for Hardwood instead of UPVC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back