replacing a dimmer switch - confused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am replacing a dimmer switch that no longer clicks to the off position when you turn it

the current dimmer fitting is the only switch that operates my living room light. The room light has a combined wattage of 200w max

the current dimmer fitting has L1, L2 and C terminals

i have bought what i thought was an appropriate replacement in the "Marbo - Dimmer Single 1 Way mains voltage 250w" however this terminal only has an L and a ~ symbol (rather than the L1, L2 and C in the previous)

having returned home i have followed the instructions and fitted the red wire in the L and the black wire in the ~ symbol. The dimmer now works and switches on and off in the same manner as the other.

i just want to know whether i have bought the correct replacement and if it is safe

thanks in advance for any advice

p.s. i am a novice so please explain anything in laymans terms if possible

Sponsored Links
The old switch could be used for 2 way switching (like 1 light with two switches- take the hallway as the classic home use example).

The new switch doesn't allowed this, it only allows 1 way switching.

Since that's all you have, it's fine.

With dimmers you must have a higher wattage at the switch than the load of the light / lights. So if your existing light is a simple 11w ES the unit is fine. If its a 8 arm candelabra with 8 x 40w golf balls then at 320w the dimmer will fail.

Dimmers are easy to find up to 400w, over that they are available, but more so in proper suppliers/ electrical wholesalers than the sheds

thank you CHRI5 - very clear explanation

so as long as i have wired up as per manufacturers instructions, not trapped the wires when fitting, and i'm not overloading the switch (wattage) then i'm fine?

i have a 5 x 40w bulb light fitting (200w total) and new dimmer is up to 250w (the label on the back of the old one was 250w too) so i'm sure it is not overloaded

novice2010";p="1514209 said:
i am replacing a dimmer switch that no longer clicks to the off position when you turn it

Your replacement dimmer is fine for what you require but your original 2 way dimmer would never 'click to the off position when you turn it' but will be turned on and off by pushing the knob...

Just telling you in case you're replacing the dimmer needlessly :D

Is that how you spell 'needlessly'?

Sponsored Links
you require but your original 2 way dimmer would never 'click to the off position when you turn it' but will be turned on and off by pushing the knob...

Some dimmer turn on and off by pressing the button. With some dimmers you turn them all the way counterclockwise for it to click off. Like the volume control on a radio.

I hope you haven't confused novice2010 with your incorrect post :mad:

you require but your original 2 way dimmer would never 'click to the off position when you turn it' but will be turned on and off by pushing the knob...

Some dimmer turn on and off by pressing the button. With some dimmers you turn them all the way counterclockwise for it to click off. Like the volume control on a radio.

I hope you haven't confused novice2010 with your incorrect post :mad:

How could it ever turn and click to off if it was a 2-way dimmer? If these do exist in anything other than 1-way, I've certainly never used or fitted one.

EDIT: There is, of course, the possibility that the original was never 2-way, and simply has an extra unused terminal for that particular model. It doesn't change the fact that what the OP has now fitted is perfectly acceptable, mind. Wouldn't want to cause any undue concern.

TTC... that was not an incorrect post.

1 way dimmers are rotary and will click to switch off.

2 way dimmers are push on / push off

simple as that :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back