removing a brick from chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a chimney in the bedroom, parts of the bottom have been removed and a lintel installed at the top so its totally sealed. over the years this has caused damp as no ventilation in the chimney.
i need to remove a brick from the top to allow for ventilation as its causing damp. where is the best place for me to remove a brick.
can i go in the attic and remove a brick frm the chimney there?? if i do this is it safe, where should it be removed from??

Sponsored Links
higher up the better remove it from the centre and use an angle grinder to remove the mortar

i have a chimney in the bedroom, parts of the bottom have been removed and a lintel installed at the top so its totally sealed. over the years this has caused damp as no ventilation in the chimney.
i need to remove a brick from the top to allow for ventilation as its causing damp. where is the best place for me to remove a brick.
can i go in the attic and remove a brick frm the chimney there?? if i do this is it safe, where should it be removed from??

You need to creat a through flow of air in the remaining chimney. It should be vented at the top and bottom. Removing a brick is fairly easy if you just drill out the mortar joints. Normally a vent would be set into the stack when the chimmey is capped off at the very top. However, taking a brickout high up in the loft will probably do if you have no rooftop access to the chimney. Then take a brick out low down in the room. Covering the holes with a plastic vent grill will keep things from going into the old flue through the holes you made. If the old chimney was not capped off at the top then you should do this instead of the high vent in the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back