Tiling a bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently the bathroom floor has floorboards which have seen better days so they're coming up and will be replaced with 18mm spruce plywood.
The floor area is only small, around 2M x 1.2M as the bath is already in so won't be changing those boards.

I also have 4 sheets of 6mm NoMorePly boards which I intended to overboard the ply with.

Are they necessary? If not, would the ply require any special treatment prior to laying ceramic tiles?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use spruce,wbp ply is better,you shouldn't need to overboard with the no more ply.Seal the undersides of the ply and edges before fixing.

Is spruce really such a bad option? It's rated for exterior and structural use.
I bought an 8x4 sheet today.....

What would you use to seal?

Spruce is for constructional use yes but not for exterior.You can seal with varnish or some old goss as long as it stops it absorbing moisture from beneath.

Sponsored Links
Pretty much every link I read states that spruce plywood is suitable for interior and exterior construction work.

In any case, I'll do as you say and seal the sides and underneath.

So no special treatment to the top surface? Just use a decent powdered flexible adhesive?
This is what I used for my en-suite floor a couple of years ago and I've had no problems at all since - Tilemaster Setaflex - flexible rapid set floor tile adhesive

as lancenotalot says, I would only use wbp or marine ply.

as for treatment: it will need priming with PVA at the very least! most adhesive manufacturers recommend their own specific primer - but a PVA primer is normally good enough.

Thanks Paul.

I'll struggle to get another board in time so would sealing the underside and sides of the 18mm spruce plywood which I already have then fixing the 6mm no more ply cement boards on the top surface make this an acceptable alternative to a sole 18mm WBP plywood sheet?

Don't use pva to prime it,use an acrylic primer.
If you are going to fit the no more ply cement boards over the top then skim with flexi adhesive lay the no more ply then screw down at 200mm centers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back